Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding plans for a simple rankine cycle

1. Jul 28, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am a complete novice and would like to build a simple closed loop rankine cycle that generate electricy, even if it only enough to power a light bulb. I want to learn more about thermal energy conversion in a hands on way, but I am having trouble finding any simple, easy to follow instructions online detailing how to go about building something like this:

a heat source applied to a working fluid, which then boils to turn a small turbine before being routed to a radiator, where it gives off its heat. then compressed and sent back to the heat source.

Like I said, i am novice and would prefer not to catch a face full of hot steam, so I would love some detailed instructions.

Anyone have a link to a project they really liked? or a book? something, anything really.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2011 #2
    You probably won't be able to build a good one. Turbines tend to run on high pressure gradients, which in other recent thread; pressure, steam and someone not knowing what they are doing is a bad combination.

You could however build something slightly different. Which is based on a velocity turbine. You heat the fluid to build pressue, then use a nozzle to convert the pressure to velocity.
    see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbine for different turbine types.

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    www.infinityturbine.com
    www.redrok.com

There are many DIY non engineers making simple rankine cycles. You can build anything you put your mind to build. Just research what materials will work best for the intended heat and expected pressures. You have access to everything you need via google. Build your own turbine if you like. There are a lot of different designs and plans out there. No degree required I assure you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook