Help finding sources for research paper

In summary, a high school senior with a love for physics was assigned an argumentative research paper on String Theory. They are struggling to find enough sources and have already purchased one, Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. However, they still need 19 more sources and are questioning if this is necessary. They have been advised to use a few respected sources and potentially add in some "fluff" sources if needed.
katatosh
Gold Member
Hello all! I am a senior in high school with a love for physics. In English, we were assigned an argumentative research paper with a topic of our choice. So, naturally, I chose String Theory, since it is a semi controversial topic in theoretical physics today. My only problem is that I have a lack of sources. Do any of you think that you could help me with sources that are pro- string theory? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Y
DrClaude said:
Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe.
Yep! already bought the book. I just need 19 more sources

You mean you already read the book? :)

19 more sources is totally unrealistic for a High School paper with the subject you have selected. A few respected sources would be sufficient. You will probably have to add a couple of fluff resources ie maybe a science rag or two (or three or four) if you teacher is insistent. Confirm that you NEED 20 sources (as nasu asked, "You mean you already read the book?"). This isn't a literature analysis and review of a Shakespearian play.

Likes mechpeac

1. How do I begin my search for sources?

The first step in finding sources for your research paper is to identify your topic and research question. This will help you determine what types of sources you need to look for. Once you have a clear idea of your topic, you can start by searching online databases, library catalogs, and academic journals for relevant sources.

2. What are the best sources to use for a research paper?

The best sources to use for a research paper are peer-reviewed academic articles, books written by experts in the field, and reputable websites. It's important to use sources that are credible, current, and relevant to your topic. Avoid using sources that are biased or lack credibility.

3. How many sources do I need for my research paper?

The number of sources you need for your research paper will depend on your topic and the requirements set by your instructor. Generally, it's recommended to have at least 3-5 sources for a shorter paper and 10-15 sources for a longer paper. However, the quality and relevance of your sources are more important than the quantity.

4. How can I evaluate the reliability of my sources?

To evaluate the reliability of your sources, consider the author's credentials, the publication date, and the reputation of the publisher. You can also check for bias or any conflicts of interest. In addition, cross-checking information with multiple sources can help determine the accuracy of the information.

5. Can I use websites as sources for my research paper?

Yes, you can use websites as sources for your research paper, but it's important to carefully evaluate their credibility. Make sure the website is reputable, the information is up-to-date, and the author is qualified to write about the topic. You can also use websites as a starting point to find more credible sources, such as academic articles or books.