Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help for excel, calculate division of colums by sums

1. Jun 17, 2016 #1
    I have column from E5 -->E35 which contains values for each box.
    another column from F5-->F35 contains values for each box

I have a sums column, H5-->H35,, which contains values for the sums between the E and F boxes (E5+F5=H5 ;;; E6+F6=H6 etc.....)

I want a division column inside J5-->J35 which contains division such that the dividend = E column and the divisor = H column.
    the division should be located inside the J column (J5-->J35) ##J= \frac{E}{E+F}=\frac{E}{H}##

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2016 #2
    i tried to add function from the "add function" button and "division" but it did not seem to work.

When I drag down the division function, then I only get 1 and 0 as the results of division, even though it is wrong to say that 1/6 = 0

4. Jun 18, 2016 #3
    I think I got it done by writing manually into the box what the function would be

5. Jun 18, 2016 #4
    1/0's are results of integer type so the cells need to be either float or double formatted.
    You can also assign your buttons macros. Something simple like this
    Code (Javascript):
    Sub Division()
    Dim answer As Double
    For i = 5 To 35
        answer = Cells(i, "E").Value / (Cells(i, "E").Value + Cells(i, "F").Value)
        Cells(i, "J").Value = answer
    Next i
    End Sub
    Now you can insert code similarly for H formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted