Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Help Guys! - Petroleum Engineering

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
    Hey, I am a British Undergad student in Mechanical Engineering at a world top 100 university.

However, I do not want to stay in this country as an engineer, the remuneration & the way society treats you is crap.

I would like to do an MS in Petroleum Engineering in the US then work/live in either Canada or the US.

My ideal job is a drilling engineer/supervisor due to the economics/engineering side, the shift work and the remuneration.

However, I am a bit worried about the risk I would be taking regarding Hubbert's peak oil theory. I am struggling with the economics of it and what it would mean for those working in the petroleum industry. Would an increase in the price of oil by reducing supply increase pay/prospects of Pet Engineers? Or would there be mass redundancies as the oil price spikes then falls away?

In which case it may be better to go and work in an office enviroment as a mechanical engineer - less risky but less reward.

Petroleum Engineer would be my dream career and the only thing holding me back is the conflicting reports of how the oil & gas industry will play out over the next 30-40 years.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2
    I know several people working in the oil industry, and over the next 30-40 years, petroleum engineering jobs will be in high demand. The reason is that no one does it anymore and all the current petroleum engineers are getting old. Notice who benefitted from high oil prices in the past---check the profits of Exxon/Mobil, BP, etc. over the past few years.

Check out Texas A&M's program, they're one of the best in the world and probably easier to get into than, say MIT. And working near Houston you'll make all the contacts you need.

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    I think petroleum engineers will continue to be in demand for all your work career.

5. Jun 24, 2010 #4
    i really do need your advice guys, Im from Cameroon (west Africa) I came to the US with bachelor in mechanical engineering, I got admitted at WVU PNGE masters program and at OU petroleum engineering (bachelor program). Im confuse if I should go for the masters program at WVU (as im concern with the reputation of WVU in the oil industry. like what companies are hiring at WVU) or should I go for a second Bachelor degree at OU. (I know OU is a great school in PE). what do u think? thanks in advance.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook