• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Undergraduate Minors that are helpful for petroleum industry careers

I am currently a Sophomore, studying chemical engineering at Drexel University. After college, I want to pursue a career in the downstream petroleum industry. However, I am unsure of what minor would help me get closer to reaching my goal. I have heard business and mathematics minors are great when paired with an engineering degree, but feel like geology relates more to the petroleum industry. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am currently a Sophomore, studying chemical engineering at Drexel University. After college, I want to pursue a career in the downstream petroleum industry. However, I am unsure of what minor would help me get closer to reaching my goal. I have heard business and mathematics minors are great when paired with an engineering degree, but feel like geology relates more to the petroleum industry. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Wouldn't geology be more appropriate for upstream? However, if you want to get an understanding the entire technology (in anticipation of possibly entering management), then geology would be a good choice. Do they have any petroleum engineering courses, involving porous media flow, at Drexel?

Is Chuck Weinberger still the head of the department, or has he retired by now?

Wouldn't geology be more appropriate for upstream? However, if you want to get an understanding the entire technology (in anticipation of possibly entering management), then geology would be a good choice. Do they have any petroleum engineering courses, involving porous media flow, at Drexel?

Is Chuck Weinberger still the head of the department, or has he retired by now?
Yes, I agree it would be more appropriate for upstream. However, besides geoscience classes, the number of courses that correlate with petroleum engineering is next to none. I plan to speak to an advisor later this week to see if I am overlooking certain classes.

As far as Chuck Weinberger, I believe he is indeed retired. Currently, Cameron Abrams is the head of the Chemical Engineering department.

CrysPhys

Education Advisor
My brother got his degree in mechanical engineering and worked in the petroleum industry. A knowledge of pumps, pipes, valves, control systems, and fluid mechanics is useful whether you're dealing with transport of crude oil, the refining process, or transport of refined product.