1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP having trouble finding calories

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    HELP!! having trouble finding calories

ok, this is probably the easiest thing in the world, but i guess i wasn't paying attention that day in class......ok, i have the mass, and then length a person climbed up a rope, and it wants me to find the number of food calories used to climb 10m up the rope...i have no idea..so ANY help would be appreciated.....this is all the info i have m=50kg and L=10m....

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Calories is a measure of work or energy. What is the work needed to lift a person up 10 meters? That is, what is his change in gravitational potential? Your answer will be in Joules, but 1 Joule = 0.239 Calories.

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3
    well thank you for replying so quickly, but is there like an equation or something i can use to find the calories???

5. Nov 29, 2005 #4

ranger

Gold Member

mezarashi already hinted to you - "gravitational potential"
    Find the potential energy gained. This is directly proportional to the mass, distance vertically travelled (height), and force of gravity. Then once you have your answer. Convert it to calories.

KatParker35, when you analyze a problem like this. You must think to yourself - they are telling me vertical distance travelled, then mass of the person. Why are they giving these hints? All you need to do is apply a little thought and then fill in the little gaps.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  6. Nov 29, 2005 #5
    thank you very much!!!! once you said PE it clicked that i had m,g, and h...thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?