• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Finding the change in length of the rope

• Thread starter Arquon
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
a= 0.3 m / s2
k = 10 000 N / m
m = 1800 kg ( of the car that is being pulled)
Ignore friction.

A car is being pulled by another car by a rope ( stiffness = 10 000 N/m) with acceleration of 0.3 m/s2.. Find the change in length of the rope.
2. Homework Equations
F = ma
F = kx (x is the change in length)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
x = F / k
I am having trouble at finding F. I have made a graph, which I have uploaded here, of the car that is being pulled in this situation and I don't know if it's correct. A hint would be appreciated.

Attachments

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Here is a hint: There is only one horizontal force acting on the car being towed and that force is what is causing it to accelerate. The weight of the car is a downward force and the normal force is upward. So use one of the "relevant equations" that you listed.

So F should be 540 N ( since there is only one horizontal force, got it simply by F = ma) , or is there something else I'm not noticing ? Because I'm not getting a correct answer. It's supposed to be 0.011 m, but I get 0.0054 m, so F should be approximately 1100 N.

Well, unless there's something I'm not noticing also, I don't see how you did anything wrong. But I got 0.054 m, instead of 0.0054 that you got. That may have just been a typo. Sometimes the "correct answers" are wrong.

You may just want to check that you copied down all of the information from the problem correctly.

I forgot one 0 for k: it's supposed to be 105, my bad. And it seems I lost one bit of information while translating this exercise, so I will re-do it:

Car A is being towed by car B with a rope ( k = 105) and acceleration of 0.3 m/s2. Car A has a mass of 1800 kg. Ignore friction. Find the change in length of the rope.

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I forgot one 0 for k: it's supposed to be 105, my bad. And it seems I lost one bit of information while translating this exercise, so I will re-do it:

Car A is being towed by car B with a rope ( k = 105) and acceleration of 0.3 m/s2. Car A has a mass of 1800 kg. Ignore friction. Find the change in length of the rope.
It's definitely 0.0054m, unless you forgot to mention it is going uphill.

No, it's going horizontal. Maybe car B has something to do with it ? If I imagine right, car B has 2 horizontal forces: one in direction of the rope, and another one to the front of the car B.

Edit : Although, nevermind. That still got me back to F = ma. I guess the answer is 0.054 m then. Thanks for help !