Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Howto design power screw drive

1. May 19, 2006 #1
    For 10kN vertical load,I just need some instructions to follow and if someone can provide schemes and more details will be great:))))THANKS!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

You need to provide a lot more information before I can begin to visualize the setup. What kind of motor? How fast must it go up? What gearing is available? That sort of stuff.

4. May 19, 2006 #3
    Well,my coursework says that I need to design a power screw device,the design should be robust,compact and easily transported. The axial load is 10kN and the power screw pass is 160mm. Unfortunately,this is all I have as information from my tutor and as far as I know it shoul be some sort of lifting device.I just need something for a start,e.g. when I have two threads which diameters should be calculated and how should I chose the type of the thread.

5. May 19, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Homework needs to be posted in the homework section.

What work have you done to this point? Before getting into details like thread forms, have you done the basics like column buckling or making sure your base will not collapse under the weight? Do you have a basic design in mind?

6. May 19, 2006 #5
    I know it sounds really stupid,but the main problem is that I just don't know where to start from,the tutor just told me and my colleagues to design a power screw device,I thing for lifting cars,when repearing them,and gave me the two already mentioned parameters.On our tutorials there were no explanations about what should be calculated exactly and how, the idea was to find out by ourselves.And so I'm reading here articles on the net and looking for some clues,but for now I only find bits and pieces and I can't summirize the whole stuff together.And because of that my question becomes a real mess:))

7. May 19, 2006 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

What level of schooling are you at?

8. May 19, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

9. May 19, 2006 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Awesome links, Fred. Those are going to come in mighty handy for some of my misc. tinkering projects. Believe it or not, I've never heard of a 'buttress form' thread before.

10. May 19, 2009 #9
    I have the same exact project right now and I need to finish by this friday.. I found a few links but I need like a small video tutorial to help me out.. Or just anything anyone can help me with..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?