Help identifying a burnt resistor WB27X10438

• Thread starter abtar
  • Start date
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It's usually cheaper to get a new oven than to replace a failed part in an old one.
Even if you do, some other component is likely going to break.

Ahhh but there's the thrill of the chase tracking down what's wrong
and that sweet sense of accomplishment when it sputters back to life.

Likes Guineafowl
jcy110, I have just encountered the same problem with my GE Microwave. Thank you for posting your solution which I want to attempt shortly-- the alternative is to buy a new oven since the new replacement control boards '10438 are no longer available. Curious, is your repaired unit still functioning, alive and well?

Just wanted to follow up I bought a replacement 28.7K resister soldered it in and everything seems to be working great so far I'll keep an eye on it to watch for any signs of trouble but I think I am good.

Big thanks to everyone for all the information and insight!

Jason
Like your solution. Would like to do the same to my Microwave oven experiencing control problems in need of a new control board. Your 28.7K 1/4 W replacement resister holding up?

May Yen, Yes the GE Profile Spacesaver XL1800 is still running fine since I repaired it.

Likes davenn and dlgoff
bearly
This saved me $1000 since it was part of a matched set.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Likes davenn
I just fixed my GE Microwave XL 1800 for $2.95. I purchased the 1/4W, 30k Ohm resistor and a 220uf 50V capacitor. Soldered them in, put the WB27X10438 control
board back into the unit and it works perfectly. The large black power relay is not manufactured anymore so I figured I would replace the capacitor and resistor, if that didn't work I would have to spring 150-160 for a new power control board.

View attachment 189655

View attachment 189656
jcy110, I believe I have the same problem as you with the WB27X10438 board. What caused you to replace the 220uf 50V capacitor in addition to the resistor? All thread I've read (on this site and others) indicate the resistor as a source of the problem, but not the capacitor. thanks

Sgib, as you can see in my pics on page 1, the cap is starting to bulge, that is why I replaced it. For a total of like 3.00 its worth the work.

Likes NascentOxygen