1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help in proving this inequality

1. Oct 22, 2015 #1
    Can somebody help me please, I've tried solving this for hours but I still couldn't get it.

Given that a, b, c, d are positive integers and a+b=c+d.

Prove that if a∗b < c∗d,
    then a∗log(a)+b∗log(b) > c∗log(c)+d∗log(d)

How do I do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Start with the multiplication... You know that if ## A+B=C+D = N,the maximum for the product A*B or C*D is (N/2)^2.
    So if AB < CD, then C and D are more central...which gives you A < C ≤ D < B.
    From there use the fact that the log function is concave down.

Please post a little bit more about what you have tried, and where you are stuck.

4. Oct 22, 2015 #3
    The closest I've got is I've tried to log both sides of the 1st inequality giving log(a)+log(b) < log(c)+log(d) then I tried to make one side similar the the 2nd inequality but then I realized that I'm going in circles.

How do I use the concave down point?

5. Oct 23, 2015 #4
    Given a new constrant that A+B = C+D = 1
    Does showing that:
    d[ -1(a*log(a)+(1-a)*log(1-a)) ] / d[a] * d[ a*(1-a) ] / d[a] to be always greater than or equal to zero prove the original claim?

Since satisfying this means that the two functions grow and shrink together (albeit not in the exact amount).
    y=-1/log(2)*(x*log(x)+(1-x)*log(1-x)) {[0,1]} // the a*log(a)+b*log(b)
    y=x*(1-x) {[0,1]} // the a*b
    upload_2015-10-23_17-0-19.png

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook