Which Quadrant Contains No Solutions to This System of Inequalities?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter kamranpiriyev
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph Inequality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
kamranpiriyev
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
If the system of inequalities y ≥ 2x + 1 and y> x/2-1
is graphed in the xy-plane above, which
quadrant contains no solutions to the system?
A) Quadrant II
B) Quadrant III
C) Quadrant IV
D) There are solutions in all four quadrants.


I thing the answer is D . But book says that it is C. I think C is wrong 'cause from the second inequality we can get (1;-1/2) or (2;-1) which are in 4 quadrant
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
?? No, they are not! [tex]-\frac{1}{2}[/tex] is NOT larger than [tex]2\left(-\frac{1}{2}\right)+ 1= 0. And [tex]-1[/tex] is NOT larger than [tex]2\left(2\right)+ 1= 5[/tex].<br /> <br /> Is it possible that you are thinking "(y, x)" rather than "(x, y)"?[/tex]
 
kamranpiriyev said:
If the system of inequalities y ≥ 2x + 1 and y> x/2-1
is graphed in the xy-plane above, which
quadrant contains no solutions to the system?
A) Quadrant II
B) Quadrant III
C) Quadrant IV
D) There are solutions in all four quadrants.


I thing the answer is D . But book says that it is C. I think C is wrong 'cause from the second inequality we can get (1;-1/2) or (2;-1) which are in 4 quadrant

Let's graph the system of inequalities:

[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]y\ge2x+1;y\gt x/2-1[/desmos]

From this we can see quadrants I-III contain solutions, and quadrant IV has no solutions. :)