Help in solving Differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the differential equation dy/dx = x^2 + y^2 using the power series method. The steps and method for solving the equation are requested, and a link to a website with a similar problem is provided. The conversation includes a detailed explanation of the power series method and how to apply it to the given equation. The conversation also mentions a special Ricatti equation that is similar to the given equation, but the final solution is not obtained. The person asking for help requests further assistance in solving the problem.
divinejun
dy/dx = x^2 + y ^ 2

find general solution for this differential equation...

thx for ur help and pls show the step taken and method use ya..
thank you very much..

Physics news on Phys.org
thx for the help.. however, for the website there, i try to reduce the equation into
d^2u/dx^2 + x^2u = 0
but i fail.. mind if u show all the step to get the equation?
and how to solve that using power series? i haven learn power series yet... thanks for the help

i try to reduce it using substitution y = 1/u(du/dx)
dy/dx = -1/u^2(dy/dx)^2 + 1/u(d^2u/dx^2)
substitute into the equation i get
d^2u/dx^2 = ux^2 + 2/u(du/dx)^2

after some tries.. i get d^2u/dx^2 + ux^2 = 0.
how to get the general solution for tis 1?
i check the website.. by using power series.. can any1 show me how? thanks for the help

Let [itex]u(x)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n[/tex]. Then [itex]u'= \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_nx^{n-1}[/itex] and [itex]u''= \sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)a_nx^{n-2}[/itex].

(I have changed the beginning index from 0 to 1 to 2 because each term, in the sum for u', is multiplied by n and so is 0 when n= 0 and, in the sum for u'' is multiplied by n(n- 1) and so is 0 when n= 0 and when n= 1.)

Replacing u'' and u in your equation with those,
[tex]\sum_{n= 2}^\infty n(n-1)a_nx^{n-2}+ x^2\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n= 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)a_nx^{n-2}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+2}= 0[/tex]

In order to combine "like powers", let i= n-2 in the first sum. Then n= i+ 2, when n=2, i= 0 so the sum is
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty (i+2)(i+1)a_{i+2}x^i[/tex].

Let i= n+ 2 in the second sum (since the indices have meaning only in the individual sums, we can do this.). Now n= i- 2. When n= 0, i= 2 so the sum becomes
[tex]\sum_{i= 2}^\infty a_{i-2}x^i[/tex]

The differential equation becomes
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty (i+2)(i+1)a_{i+2}x^i+ \sum_{i=2}^\infty a_{i-2}x^i[/tex]
and can compare "like powers" by looking at specific values of i.

The second sum does not start until i= 2 so for i= 0 and i= 1 we have
[itex](0+2)(0+ 1)a_2= 2a_2= 0[/itex] which tells us that [itex]a_2= 0[/itex] and [itex](1+ 2)(1+ 1)a_3= 6a_3= 0[/itex] which tells us that [itex]a_3= 0[/itex].

For i greater than 1, we have
[tex](i+ 2)(i+ 1)a_{i+2}+ a_{i-2}= 0[/tex]
or
[tex]a_{i+2}= -\frac{a_{i-2}}{(i+ 2)(i+1)}[/tex]

That gives a recursive equation for the coefficients. Since "n-2" will not be non-negative until n= 2, where a+ 2= 4, we cannot, of course, determine [itex]a_0[/itex], [itex]a_1[/itex], [itex]a_2[/itex], or [itex]a_3[/itex] from this, but that's okay- we already know that [itex]a_2= a_3= 0[/itex] and we expect a second order d.e. to involve two "constants". We can take those constants to be [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]a_1[/itex]. (In fact, it is easy to see that [itex]y(0)= a_0[/itex] and [itex]y'(0)= a_1[/itex], "initial conditions" for this problem. If you were given other initial conditions, say [itex]y(x_0)[/itex] and [itex]y'(x_0)[/itex], write the power series in terms of [itex](x- x_0)^n[/itex].)

Now, we have, with i= 2,
[tex]a_4= \frac{a_0}{(2+ 2)(2+1)}= \frac{a_0}{8}[/tex]
with i= 3,
[tex]a_5= \frac{a_1}{(3+2)(3+ 1)}= \frac{a_1}{18}[/tex]
with i= 4,
[tex]a_6= \frac{a_2}{(4+ 2)(4+ 1)}= 0[/tex]
because [itex]a_2= 0[/itex].
Similarly, with i= 5,
[tex]a_7= \frac{a_3}{(5+2)(5+1)}= 0[/tex]
because [itex]a_3= 0[/itex]
With i= 6,
[tex]a_8= \frac{a_4}{(6+2)(6+1)}= \frac{a_4}{56}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{a_0}{8(56)}= \frac{a_0}{448}[/tex]

etc.

It might be best to look at the indices "modulo 4". If i is 3 mod 4 (3, 7, 11, 15,...) [itex]a_i= 0[/itex]. If i is 2 mod 4 (2, 6, 10, 14, ...), [itex]a_i= 0[/itex].

If i is 0 mod 4 (0, 4, 8, 12, ...) [itex]a_i[/itex] will be [itex]a_0[/itex] divided by an integer. We could factor [itex]a_0[/itex] out of that sum and have [itex]a_0[/itex] times some function. If i is 1 mod 4 (1, 5, 9, 13, ...) [itex]a_i[/tex] will be [itex]a_1[/itex] divided by some integer. We could factor [itex]a_1[/itex] out of that sum and have [itex]a_1[/itex] times some function. The result would be
[tex]u(x)= a_0f(x)+ a_1g(x)[/tex]
where f and g are solutions to the differential equation. Of course f and g may be extremely complicated sums. You cannot, in general, expect to be able to determine a formula for the sums or even for the general coefficients.

thx a lot hallsofivy... i try go search the web again.. i found out a similar situation with this. the special ricatti equation and i totally gone blur after seeing it.. comparing with your answer i get more confused.
http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode/ode0106.pdf
the website show the special ricatti equation and final solution only.. it uses the same substitution but i can't get the answer.. mind helping me?

Moderator's note: thread moved to Homework & Coursework Questions.

Helpers please take note, the normal forum guidelines on giving homework help apply.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is commonly used to model and describe physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model real-world problems and phenomena, making it an essential tool in various scientific and engineering fields. By solving these equations, we can gain a better understanding of the behavior of systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

What are the different methods for solving differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and series solutions. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

Can differential equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Yes, differential equations can be solved analytically, which involves finding an exact solution using mathematical techniques. They can also be solved numerically, which involves using numerical methods to approximate the solution.

Are there any software or tools available for solving differential equations?

Yes, there are many software and tools available for solving differential equations, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These tools use advanced algorithms and numerical methods to solve differential equations quickly and accurately.