Help me about: problem of Thermal Hydraulic

In summary, the author is studying Thermal Hydraulic and when reading the book, "NUCLEAR SYSTEMS I Thermal Hydraulic Fundamentals" - Neil E. Todreas and Mujid S. Kazimi. The author does not understand about calculate "Minimum critical power ratio" & calculate "Pumping power" in problem: a) Calculate the minimum critical power ratio for a typical 10 MWe BWR operating at 100% power using the data in Tables 1-2, 1-3, and 2-3 . Assume that: 1. The axial linear power shape can be expressed as
marlh
I'm studying about Thermal Hydraulic. When i read book :"NUCLEAR SYSTEMS I Thermal Hydraulic Fundamentals" - Neil E. Todreas and Mujid S. Kazimi.

I don't understand about : calculate "Minimum critical power ratio" & calculate "Pumping power" in problem:

a) Calculate the minimum critical power ratio for a typical 10 MWe BWR operating at 100% power using the data in Tables 1-2, 1-3, and 2-3 . Assume that:

1. The axial linear power shape can be expressed as

q'(z) = q'ref*exp (- az/L )sin (pi*z/L)
where a = 1.96. Determine q'ref such that qmax = 44 kW/m
2. The critical bundle power is 93 19kW.b) Calculate the pumping power under steady-state operating conditions for a typical PWR reactor coolant system. Assume the following operating conditions:
Core power = 38 17 MWt
detal Tcore = 31 °C
Reactor coolant system pressure drop = 778 kPa (1 13 psi)

can anyone help me solve the problem ? or guide me solve the problem. thank!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For a, that should be straightforward to calculate q'ref. Find the elevation for qmax. BWRs are not typically 10 MWe, but more like 1 GWe (1000 MWe), and actually > 1 GWe.

What is the significant of CHF?

For b, that's not really typical - 3817 MWt would be typical of the Palo Verde units. Think about Tsat as a possible constraint, and the flow rate of coolant to get a ΔT = 31°C at a power (rate of enthalpy input) of 3817 MWt. Relate flow rate to the pressure drop around the loop. Likely the plant would have 4 loops, or 2 hot legs and 4 cold legs.

Thank for Astronuc about hint. I have solved the exercise.:smile:

actually i have same question for these two problem, can you help me with it, i couldn't find it through the hints given

matt222 said:
actually i have same question for these two problem, can you help me with it, i couldn't find it through the hints given
Given q'(z), at what location does one find q'max.

For pumping power, besides the pressure drop, what does one need in order to determine the power (rate of work) to pump the coolant around the loop? Relate flow rate to the pressure drop around the loop.

we can say that, p=volumetric flow rate*pressure drop
volumetric flow rate =mass flow rate/density of water
mass flow rate=(cp*delta T)/power

is it true and what is the cp in this case?

for first part i found the location but how about finding minimum critical power ratio MCPR

LOL!

You are either in my class or nuclear engineering curriculims throughout the US follows a set curriculim

for a

once you solved for qref just intergrate the function along the length of the rod so you have both numbers needed to compute the ratio.

haven't finished part b due friday got some time. I would assume the Cp of water since this is a PWR

matt222 said:
is it true and what is the cp in this case?
This would be the specific heat of the reactor coolant. You will need to find a suitable average value for the temperature difference or integrate if your professor requires (like mine did many years ago).

Interesting to see they are still using Todreas - used this book in graduate school in 1991.

1. What is Thermal Hydraulic?

Thermal Hydraulic is a scientific field that combines the principles of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to study the behavior of fluids, such as water or air, in systems where temperature plays a significant role. It is commonly used in the design and operation of power plants, heating and cooling systems, and other industrial processes.

2. What are the main challenges in Thermal Hydraulic?

The main challenges in Thermal Hydraulic include understanding the complex interactions between temperature, pressure, flow rate, and other variables in a fluid system. This requires advanced mathematical models and experimental techniques to accurately predict and control the behavior of the system. Additionally, managing and mitigating thermal stresses and potential hazards, such as boiling or freezing, is also a crucial aspect of Thermal Hydraulic.

3. How is Thermal Hydraulic used in engineering?

Thermal Hydraulic is used in engineering to design and optimize systems that involve the transfer of heat and fluids, such as power plants, heat exchangers, and refrigeration systems. It is also used in the analysis and troubleshooting of existing systems to improve their efficiency and performance.

4. What are some applications of Thermal Hydraulic?

Some common applications of Thermal Hydraulic include power generation, chemical and process engineering, air conditioning and refrigeration, and nuclear engineering. It is also used in the design and operation of engines, pumps, turbines, and other mechanical systems that involve the transfer of heat and fluids.

5. How does Thermal Hydraulic impact our daily lives?

Thermal Hydraulic has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it is involved in the design and operation of many essential systems, such as power plants, heating and cooling systems, and transportation. It also plays a crucial role in ensuring the safety and efficiency of these systems, making our lives more comfortable and convenient.