1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Me Calculate How high SuperMan can Jump!

1. Dec 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a semester review. I am having trouble starting the second part of this question. It is well-know fact that Superman is "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound." Assume his mass is 100kg.

The first part we are given his initial velocity as 181 m/s. That is one meter faster than a characteristic bullet. His jump takes off at a 86.9 degree angle. What are his initial velocities in the x and y direction. No trouble here.

V(xinitial)=1.26 m/s
    V(yinitial)=180.99 m/s

The second part asks how tall of a building can he leap using the above data.

2. Relevant equations
    Y=Yinitial)+V(yinitial)(time)+1/2Ay*(time^2)

V(yfinal)^2=V(yinitial)^2+Ay(X-Xinital)

V(yfinal)=V(yinitial)+Ay*Time

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have his initial velocities in the x and y direction. I am confused on how to solve for a final velocity without knowing time or the final velocity in the y direction. I am thinking that since I have two unknowns I might have to rearrange and equation and substitute it into another one to solve for one unknown. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2
    Here's a hint: when superman is at the highest point in his jump, his vertical velocity (let's call this his "y velocity") is zero. (He starts with a positive y velocity, and if his y velocity were positive at the peak of his jump, he'd keep going up--so it wouldn't be the peak of his jump). So you can use V_y=0 for your final velocity. The horizontal or x velocity doesn't really matter in this problem, since it stays constant throughout. Honestly, including a small x velocity in this problem is probably just meant to confuse you.

However, I think there's an easier way to solve this problem. Use kinetic and potential energies.

4. Dec 15, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the hint. I had missed that key information. I have to solve this using projectile motion and not energy so thanks anyway. I'll post questions if I have anymore.

5. Dec 15, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the super man reaches the highest point of the building, his Vy(final) can be taken as zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook