1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me Choose a class to study on my own

1. Apr 4, 2006 #1

tmc

Ill be a 3rd-yr physics student next year, and due to course conflicts, Ill have to study one of these three math classes on my own (ie, without going to lectures). Which of these would be more useful for theoretical physics (probably in String, LQG and the likes):

Analysis III - Real numbers; completeness properties. Metric spaces; compactness and connectedness, continuous functions. Contraction mappings. Sequences and series of functions; modes of convergence, power series. Topics on function spaces such as: Weierstrass approximation, Fourier series and L2 spaces.

Analysis III is also a prerequisite to Manifold Theory and Lie Groups

Applied Linear Algebra - Vector and matrix norms. Schur canonical form, QR, LU, Cholesky and singular value decomposition, generalized inverses, Jordan form, Cayley-Hamilton theorem, matrix analysis and matrix exponentials, eigenvalue estimation and the Greshgorin Circle Theorem; quadratic forms, Rayleigh and minima principles. The theoretical and numerical aspects will be studied.

General Topology - Countability, Compactness (Local, Para, Sequential), Projective Spaces, Zoo of Quotient Spaces

Ive taken:
    ODE
    Calculus I/II, Analysis I/II
    Linear Algebra Intro / I
    Group Theory
    Applied Algebra
    Intro to Topology

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2
    Most useful by far for a physicst : Analysis III

This class should be manditory for any decent QM class (it is where I come from).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?