Can I Learn Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity on My Own?

In summary, the conversation involves a physics-math junior seeking advice on organizing a self-study schedule. The student plans to study General Relativity and relativistic quantum mechanics on the side, using books chosen from the library for their rigorous approach. They plan to dedicate 5 hours each Sunday to studying quantum mechanics and are seeking recommendations and an online lecture series for Wald's textbook. However, others suggest focusing on current coursework, as it is unlikely to learn these advanced topics without a strong foundation in quantum mechanics and analysis. The student acknowledges this and plans to focus on their current coursework.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,

I am currently a physics-math junior and I was looking for advice on a small schedule that I am organizing for self-study.
Our curriculum for undergraduate physics doesn’t include General Relativity nor approaches relativistic quantum mechanics. I am planning on continuing in Cosmology and since both are highly important (and extremely interesting!) I decided to study them on the side.

For books I chose:

--Relativistic quantum mechanics and quantum field theory by Devanathan, v. (Varadarajan)
--General Relativity, Wald

I chose both book by inspecting them in the library. I wanted books that go directly into the math and explore the subject rigorously rather than scratch the surface and rely on further study by the reader.

I am planning to start with the quantum mechanics book and give a minimum of 5 hours each Sunday to that quest. So I posted this to get some comments or recommendations on what to do.

Also it would help if someone can share a link to an online lecture series on Wald's textbook since I heard that it was a tough read at first.

Thanks

Addition: Just to clarify what courses I took so far in case it was needed (I mentioned what I think is relevant):
-ODEs
-Calculus
-Modern Physics
-Mechanics
-Mathematical methods (complex analysis, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, Strum Liouville theory and special functions, vector calculus)
-Linear Algebra (with rigorous proof)
-Quantum mechanics(currently taking)
-Analysis (Rudin, currently taking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you out of your mind?

You're barely passing QM. A D is a hair away from flunking. You need to be studying that, not messing around with other things.

Last edited:
Likes jamalkoiyess
Vanadium 50 said:

You're barely passing QM. A d is a hair away from flunking. You need to be studying that, not messing around with other things.
Agreed, if you're not acing your current coursework, there is no way you can learn relativistic QM or general relativity. QM and a course in analysis out of Rudin is a semester worth or work in itself.

Likes jamalkoiyess
Vanadium 50 said:

Dr Transport said:
there is no way you can learn relativistic QM or general relativity.

That was the response I got from my professor, didn't know why I expected otherwise. Thank you. I really need to stop wandering around and focus on what am taking. I only thought that a couple of hours weekly wouldn't affect that much.

1. What is the best way to create a self-study schedule?

The best way to create a self-study schedule is to start by setting specific and achievable goals for yourself. Then, divide your time into manageable chunks and allocate each chunk to a specific subject or topic. Make sure to also include breaks and review sessions in your schedule.

2. How many hours should I dedicate to self-study each day?

The number of hours you should dedicate to self-study each day depends on your personal goals, learning style, and other commitments. Generally, it is recommended to study for at least 2-3 hours per day, but this can vary based on individual needs.

3. Is it better to study for longer periods of time or break up my studying into shorter sessions?

It is generally more effective to break up your studying into shorter sessions rather than studying for long periods of time. This allows for better retention of information and helps prevent burnout. However, it is important to find a schedule that works best for you.

4. How often should I review material in my self-study schedule?

It is recommended to review material at least once a week to reinforce your understanding and retention of the material. However, this can vary depending on the subject and your personal learning style.

5. Can I make changes to my self-study schedule as needed?

Yes, it is important to be flexible with your self-study schedule and make changes as needed. If you find that a certain subject or topic is taking longer than expected, adjust your schedule accordingly. It is also important to regularly evaluate your progress and make changes if necessary.