Help me choosing module/course

• Courses
  • Thread starter mathsnerd2
  • Start date
In summary: That's for you to decide.In summary, the best way to decide on a specialization is to take courses and see what you enjoy the most. Also, getting involved in research and talking to professors in those areas can help you make a decision. Ultimately, choose a topic that you are passionate about and that will keep you motivated throughout your studies and research. Good luck!
mathsnerd2
Algebra 5

DecisionProblemsinGroupTheory(L24).... ....5
LieAlgebrasandRepresentationTheory(M24)... ...5
ModularRepresentationsofFiniteGroups(L24)... ...6
Calculusandalgebra(L24)...... ...8
Representationsof?nitegroupsofLietype(L24)... ....8
CommutativeAlgebra(M24)...... ...9
Non-commutativealgebras(L24)...... ...9
VonNeumannAlgebras(L24)...... ...10

Analysis 12

TopologicalGroups(L24)....... ...12
TopicsinIn?niteGroups(M16)..... ...12
AnalysisontheDiscreteHypercube(L24)— Non–Examinable ....13
IntroductiontoFunctionalAnalysis(M24)..... ...14
ComplexDi?erentialEquations(L24)...... ....15
Ellipticpartialdi?erentialequations(M24)... .....15

Combinatorics 17

Combinatorics(M16)....... ...17
CombinatorialProbability(L16)...... ....17
HypergraphGames(E8)— Non–Examinable ......18
ArithmeticCombinatorics(M16)...... ...18

GeometryandTopology 19

TheX-raytransformingeometryanddynamics(L24)... ...19
AlgebraicTopology(M24)....... ...20
Di?erentialGeometry(M24)...... ...20
SpectralGeometry(L24)........ ...21
AlgebraicGeometry(M24)....... ...22
ComplexManifolds(L24)........ ...22
AlgebraicGroups(M24)...... ...24
FibreBundles(L16)........ ...24
AlgebraicCycles(L24)...... ...25

Logic 26

CategoryTheory(M24)...... ...26
SetTheoryandLogic(L24)....... ...27

NumberTheory 29

EllipticCurves(L24)...... ...29
LocalFields(M16)....... ...29
ErgodicTheory(L24)....... ...30
TheIwasawatheoryofellipticcurveswithcomplexmultiplication(L24)....31
AlgebraicNumberTheory(M16)..... ...31
ModularFormsandAutomorphicForms(L24)... ...32
Non-abelianLubin-Tatetheory(M24)— Non–Examinable ......32

Probability 3

AdvancedProbability(M24)...... ...3
StochasticNetworks(L24)...... ...3
StochasticLoewnerEvolutions(L16)...... .....3
StochasticCalculusandApplications(L24).... ...3

ParticlePhysics,QuantumFieldsandStrings 46

QuantumFieldTheory(M24)...... ...46
SymmetryandParticlePhysics(M24)...... ...47
StatisticalFieldTheoryandApplications(M24)... ....48
AdvancedQuantumFieldTheory(L24)...... ...49
StringTheory(L24)........ ...49
SupersymmetryandExtraDimensions(L24)... ....50
StandardModel(L24)....... ...51
SolitonsandInstantons(E16)..... ...52
Supergravity(E16)........ ...53

QuantumInformationandQuantumFoundations 54

IntroductiontoQuantumComputation(M16)..... ....54
QuantumInformation,EntanglementandNonlocality(M16). .....55
PhilosophyofClassicalandQuantumMechanics(M12,L12).. ....55
MathematicalAspectsofQuantumInformationTheory(L24). .....56
QuantumControl(L16)...... ...57

RelativityandGravitation 59

Cosmology(M24)........ ...59
GeneralRelativity(M24)....... ...61
AdvancedCosmology(L16)....... ...62
ApplicationsofDi?erentialGeometrytoPhysics(L24)... ......63
BlackHoles(L24)....... ...64
QuantumCosmology(E16)........ ...65
IntroductionToTwistorTheory(E16)...... ...66

Astrophysics 67

AstrophysicalFluidDynamics(M24)...... ....67
StructureandEvolutionofStars(M24)..... ....68
AccretionDiscs(L16)...... ...68
Galaxies(L24)......... ...69
PhysicalCosmology(L24)....... ...70
StellarandPlanetaryMagneticFields(L24).... ...71

I am interested in differential geometry, group theory, a bit of quantum mechanic, some algebra, complex analysis and topology.

So right now I can't decide what area I want to major in? How do you guys decide what area to specialize?

What subject I should choose so that I can still keep in touch with my favorite topics (differential geometry, group theory, a bit of quantum mechanic, some algebra, complex analysis and topology) ?

Please help me I am clueless.

I only allowed to take 10 course from the list above and hopefully the course that I choose will be useful in my research for PhD ( still haven't decide what topic).

Thank you for your help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
From teaching classes and becoming exposed to the stuff you are interested in. I picked Combinatorics and Game Theory for my specialization because it was something I under innately. I love talking about the subject and all the many applications. It also seems like every day people also enjoy talking about the implication game theory results imply. It extremely interesting and fun for me.

However, to get to that point, it took a lot of work. At first, I thought maybe dynamics, but I didn't like how tedious it was. Then I thought, why not analysis, but it hurts my head to think about analysis for to long. Then I thought why not topology? Again, it hurts my head to much. In the end, it took me figuring out what I enjoyed less to figure out what I really did truly enjoy.

I hope that made sense.

I can hardly understand you post however...

You don't major in Diff. Geometry, group theory or even QM

You major in Math or Physics, possibly a bit more specialized but with not much difference something like theoretical physics or a dual degree physics +maths

Later in grad school you begin to specialize if you choose to do p.h.d or some kind of thesis based MS.

How far along are you in your studies? That would help us help you. Are you doing you phd currently? Really you should consult your dept. as far as having trouble picking a topic for a phd. There is only so much we can suggest in that regard, ie. we can't tell you, You Should do you PHD on X, Y or Z.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a module or course?

When choosing a module or course, you should consider your interests, career goals, academic requirements, and availability of resources. Think about what topics you are passionate about and what skills you want to develop. Additionally, consider what courses are required for your degree or career path and what resources (such as time, money, and transportation) you have available to devote to the module or course.

2. How do I know if a module or course is right for me?

To determine if a module or course is right for you, research the course description, learning outcomes, and prerequisites. These will give you an idea of the content and expectations of the course. You can also reach out to students who have taken the course or talk to the professor to get a better understanding of the course. Lastly, consider your own strengths and weaknesses and whether the course aligns with your goals and interests.

3. Is it better to take a module or a course?

There is no definitive answer to whether it is better to take a module or a course, as it depends on your individual needs and goals. Modules are typically shorter and more focused on a specific topic, while courses may cover a broader range of material. Consider your learning style and what best fits your schedule and interests when deciding between a module or course.

4. How can I find out more about the modules or courses offered at my university?

To find out more about the modules or courses offered at your university, you can search your university's course catalog or speak with academic advisors. You can also attend departmental information sessions or talk to professors in your field of interest to learn more about specific modules or courses. Additionally, reach out to current students or alumni to get their perspective on courses they have taken.

5. Can I change my module or course after I have already registered?

In most cases, it is possible to change your module or course after you have registered. However, this may depend on deadlines and availability of spots in the desired module or course. It is important to check with your university's policies and reach out to academic advisors for assistance in making changes to your course schedule.