Help me jazz up my English paper with science vocab!

  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
6,171
1,275
Knavish said:
So.. I wonder if wasteofo2 even cares about this thread anymore.
Why should he? You called his sentence "pompous."
 
47
1
You're all so nice! I'd've teased me about all the definitelys till kingdom come. (I'm so scared of contractions now, I had to read that through four times!)

Edit: Definitelies? Definitely's? I don't know anything anymore.... :bugeye: :tongue2:
 
Last edited:
113
1
Notice how I was careful to call his sentence pompous, and not him. :tongue:
 
6,171
1,275
Knavish said:
Notice how I was careful to call his sentence pompous, and not him. :tongue:
Hmmmm....have you met Math Is Hard yet? She is an infinite well of mischief, and might appreciate your talents.
 
113
1
Well, you can say I know most of the posters.. I peek in here every so often. (Since I just got out of high school, I don't have to greatest knowledge of physics to share...as of yet anyway!)
 

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
110
80
zoobyshoe said:
"...or an innocent bottle of champagne killed by careless prolonged exposure to a carbon dioxide-sucking ambient atmosphere."
This one gets my vote.

Or ..... "the life of an innocent bottle of champagne drained by the disinterested carbon-dioxide sucking ambient atmosphere." .... but only if you want to convey that life is heartlessly ended one way or another with the method of death a mere triviality. Personally, I find it hard to compare the holocaust with the deaths in the Dresden bombings. One was true evil while the other was callous.
 

Danger

Gold Member
9,564
244
icvotria said:
You're all so nice! I'd've teased me about all the definitelys till kingdom come.
If it'll make you feel any better, I'll tease you for the rest of your life. I don't want to, though, because I know what kind of night-life you lead and consider it amazing that you can post at all. :tongue:

icvotria said:
Edit: Definitelies? Definitely's? I don't know anything anymore.... :bugeye: :tongue2:
This is something of an unregulated situation. Usually for something like that, just for the sake of clarity, I use "definitely"'s or definitely's. The apostrophe is used to separate the original quote from the pluralizer. It's optional for use in numbers. ie: "4s" and "4's" are both technically correct.
 

honestrosewater

Gold Member
2,071
5
Heh, I was just reading about this here. If there is any confusion, its usually doesn't act as a pronoun (in fact, I can't think of any time it acts as a pronoun); Its usually (always?) acts as a determiner, and a determiner always comes before and modifies a noun. Some words that act as determiners: the, a, this, two, and some. The distinction is important because pronouns function much like nouns while determiners do not (they function more like adjectives).

Anywho, I think the easiest trick is to try to replace its with the in the sentence. The always acts as a determiner, so if the works, use its. Otherwise, use it's. Meh, I don't know if this trick is foolproof though... That book is great so far, easy to follow, and has practice questions if anyone needs clarification.
Edit: Oh, right, how are you to remember? Well, its and the both have three symbols, while the apostrophe in it's makes four symbols. Just a suggestion. :biggrin:
Eh, I keep wanting to call determiners delimiters!
 
Last edited:
639
2
i just wanted to thank you guys for those first few posts about its vs it's... really made me laugh... "it's its... no its it's... no its its... nuh it's it's!" hehe... wow i'm amused...

at any rate, not that i think wastofo2 is around to care... but i think i'd use a completely different analogy than the champagne one... i realize the idea... but i think i'd talk about like... yeast or something that conceivably dies at least... but meh...
 
6,171
1,275
honestrosewater said:
If there is any confusion, its usually doesn't act as a pronoun (in fact, I can't think of any time it acts as a pronoun); Its usually (always?) acts as a determiner, and a determiner always comes before and modifies a noun. Some words that act as determiners: the, a, this, two, and some. The distinction is important because pronouns function much like nouns while determiners do not (they function more like adjectives).
This is such a complex way to do it, though. It's easier just to ask if what you're expressing is a possessive, or a contraction of "it is".
 
6,171
1,275
Gale17 said:
i just wanted to thank you guys for those first few posts about its vs it's... really made me laugh... "it's its... no its it's... no its its... nuh it's it's!" hehe... wow i'm amused...
I enjoyed this attempt to settle the matter:
Knavish said:
"Its" is the possessive. Stop this debate.
 

honestrosewater

Gold Member
2,071
5
zoobyshoe said:
This is such a complex way to do it, though. It's easier just to ask if what you're expressing is a possessive, or a contraction of "it is".
Yeah, the contraction is probably easiest. But I thought the problem was that the possessive case is usually formed by adding 's, making the contraction idea confusing. So I was suggesting basically the same thing; Instead of focusing on what the word looks like, look at how the word behaves in the sentence. Meh, I thought another option might be helpful.

So Strunk & White group its with theirs, yours, and ours. I think it makes more sense to group its with their, your, and our. Look how they behave:

That food is theirs.
?That food is its.
Their food is yummy.
Its food is yummy.
The food it yummy.

Maybe you can use its as a pronoun? The example they give is:

It's a wise dog that scratches its own fleas.

It's a wise dog that scratches our own fleas.
*It's a wise dog that scratches ours own fleas.

Ugh.
 

Related Threads for: Help me jazz up my English paper with science vocab!

  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
607
Replies
4
Views
11K
Replies
1
Views
512
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
4K

Hot Threads

Top