Help me to chose the right calculus textbooks.

In summary: Oxford University Press's Physical Science Mathematics book is a great starting point for someone who is looking to learn more maths for physical science purposes. It is pitched at the level you require and also contains much useful maths that the likes of Apostol assumes you know.
Vyenn
I'm planning to learn calculus all by myself(from basic level).I selected some books,they are stewart's and for a bit more practice schaum's 3000 solved problems,so just tell me whether they are good if not advice me, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I taught myself Calculus, I used MIT video lectures. However Stewart is a great text to start Calculus along with Shaum's Outline is great! Also, you if you need videos explaining a certain topic in Calculus, you should go to khanacademy.org.

Good luck.

Tom Apostol - Calculus.

the best textbook I have ever used.

Thanks

Google for University Houston Calculus
They have some 50 videos which are excellent
I use them in my classes

I personally think Stewart's 6th Ed is the best text out there.

Personally I like Michael Spivak's Calculus. I don't know if you would consider it basic but I have a lot of fun with it even though it takes me hours upon hours just to complete a chapter.

I'm planning to learn calculus all by myself(from basic level).

Instead of jumping in with advice it would be useful to know where you are starting from and what you motivation or aim for the calculus is?

The starting point is important because to be able to use any of the existing suggestions effectively you have to know quite a bit already.

For motivation are you interested in the pure maths behind it (in which case there are some excellent suggestions here eg Spivak) or are you interested in using the results?

Finally how far do you wish to take the subject, Apostol for instance goes further than most.

go well

Yeah, honestly all the calclulus i know till now is pretty much based on physics,and upto some level i can do the simple tricks and methods.But when i try to learn some deeper stuff like quantum physics all the theories there are mostly based on mathematics.So in order for a good and deeper understanding,i would like to start it fresh from 13th class level and take it higher.
Would like a book mostly based on theory with real world applications and various methods.
THanks

From what you have said I would recommend

The Chemistry Maths Book

By Erich Steiner

Oxford University Press

This is pitched at the level you require and also contains much useful maths that the likes of Apostol assumes you know. It is an excellent bridge between high school and university levels for physical science purposes.

Thanks a lot!

1. What is the best calculus textbook for beginners?

The best calculus textbook for beginners will depend on your personal learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards, and "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart.

2. What are the main differences between calculus textbooks?

The main differences between calculus textbooks are the approach to teaching the material, the level of difficulty, the amount of examples and practice problems, and the inclusion of additional resources such as online tutorials or interactive tools. It is important to choose a textbook that aligns with your learning style and goals.

3. Are there any calculus textbooks that are better for self-study?

Yes, there are calculus textbooks specifically designed for self-study such as "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Morris Kline and "Calculus for Dummies" by Mark Ryan. These textbooks often have more explanations and step-by-step solutions to help guide self-learners.

4. How do I know which calculus textbook is right for my course?

If you are taking a specific calculus course, it is best to consult with your professor or teaching assistant for their recommended textbook. They may have specific reasons for choosing a certain textbook and can provide guidance on which one will align with the course material.

5. Is it better to purchase a physical or digital version of a calculus textbook?

This ultimately depends on personal preference. Some people prefer physical textbooks because they can easily highlight and take notes, while others prefer digital versions for the convenience of carrying all their textbooks in one device. It is important to consider which format will work best for your learning style and habits.