What is the solution to this IQ question on pattern recognition?

• Thread starter peg leg smith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, the conversation discusses an IQ question and the confusion surrounding its solution. Some participants believe the answer is C, while others argue for D. Some speculate that the answer may have been incorrectly translated or that the question may have been designed to test outside-the-box thinking. The conversation also mentions languages that read right to left, such as Hebrew, Arabic, and Farsi. Ultimately, the group agrees on C as the most likely answer.
peg leg smith
Hello, I was searching on the net for some IQ tests and ended up on iqtestexperts.com
But my mind cannot understand what solution must be applied to one IQ question in particular:

This is the IQ question:
HJFnXtn.png

To me it seems like the answer would be C, but for some reason it is inverted, and I cannot see a logical explanation, perhaps you can explain it better than the Explanation at the bottom? Thanks

The image is an extract from http://www.iqtestexperts.com/pattern-recognition-sample.php

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would have said C also. (Have no idea what the "explanation" is supposed to mean.)

Seems C to me too.
I don't understand how would D be possibly an answer.

Doc Al said:
I would have said C also. (Have no idea what the "explanation" is supposed to mean.)

I vote for "C" also. Each picture is rotated 45 degrees ccw from the previous one. There is no "inversion" here. Slanted lines are slanting in the same direction in each picture. An inversion/reflection would change the slantedness.

Each change to the sequence seems 45 degree angle going counter-clockwise, so C.
D is a wrong answer.

Thanks for the quick replies. I sent a message to the website owner suggesting their answer to the question is wrong.

The figures are difficult to analyze, and I (we) could be wrong. I found the rotation by 45 degrees and have trouble seeing any inversions with the complicated figures.
... rethinking again, I still say, C.

The usual lack of proofreading following revision of a problem statement.

If all answers fail choose C lol

I'm also sure C is the wrong answer. Has to be D. Don't believe everything you read :smile:

D would be correct if you read the sequence from right to left, so one of the following is true:

a) this was made somewhere that people read right to left. At some point the explanation was incorrectly translated to English
b) the order of the pictures was accidentally switched which also somehow attached the explanation of a different question to this one
c) the point was to test if you could think "outside the box" and the explanation was written by a post-modernist
d) these sites are created by young web developers that have no connection to the quality of the site since the company that pays them just want to use the site to gather information about people that look at the site. Time spent making one site good is time that could have been spent making another bad site.

Likes Firedog89, Magenta55 and symbolipoint
I don't think the way people read it would have made the correction because it doesn't label the the figures both C and D would be correct. If there was a direction to read it then you will have 1 answer but that was very creative to find the sequence from right to left.

I can't think of a language that reads from right to left, but I think there is one. I'm thinking chinese but I'm not sure but manga is read left to right.

Firedog89 said:
I don't think the way people read it would have made the correction because it doesn't label the the figures both C and D would be correct. If there was a direction to read it then you will have 1 answer but that was very creative to find the sequence from right to left.

I can't think of a language that reads from right to left, but I think there is one. I'm thinking chinese but I'm not sure but manga is read left to right.

Hebrew reads right to left.

peg leg smith said:
Thanks for the quick replies. I sent a message to the website owner suggesting their answer to the question is wrong.
IQ-tests should be made by people who are smarter than most of us. If the "designer" of this particular IQ-test made a mistake, he is not as smart as you are :-)
A problem occours when you shall IQ-test the smartest person in the world... I vote for C.

Likes symbolipoint
Hebrew is read right to left. But, since the question is written in English, and IQ questions in English generally intend for the "next in sequence" to be on the right, I have to go with C as well :)

Likes symbolipoint
Quantum Defect said:
Hebrew reads right to left.
Arabic and Farsi too.
And with a quick google: A few more.

1. What is an IQ question?

An IQ question is a type of question that is used to measure a person's intelligence quotient, or IQ. These questions are designed to test a person's ability to solve problems and think critically.

2. How are IQ questions different from other types of questions?

IQ questions are specifically designed to measure a person's cognitive abilities, such as reasoning, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They are often used in intelligence tests to assess a person's overall intelligence level.

3. Are there different types of IQ questions?

Yes, there are different types of IQ questions, including verbal, numerical, and spatial reasoning questions. These questions may also vary in difficulty, with some being more challenging than others.

4. How should I approach an IQ question?

It is important to read the question carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, use your critical thinking skills to analyze the information and come up with a logical solution. It can also be helpful to eliminate any obviously incorrect answers and make an educated guess if necessary.

5. Can I improve my performance on IQ questions?

Yes, with practice and training, you can improve your performance on IQ questions. By regularly challenging your cognitive abilities and learning new problem-solving strategies, you can potentially increase your overall IQ score.