Help My telescope fell and now it won't focus

In summary, the person's telescope, a Mak Cassegrain by Bushnell, fell over and the finderscope came off. They are now able to reattach it and see light and blur. They are seeking advice on what to do next and it is suggested to check the collimation and possibly realign the secondary mirror mount. They are also advised to use a distant object and a bright star for fine tuning. The person also mentions the model number, 78-8840, and successfully fixes the issue by unscrewing and reattaching the telescope.
danielandpenn
It fell halfway over, denting my metal garbage can lid. The finderscope came off but I could easily reattach it. I can see light and blur now...what should I do?? I don't want to just open it up without knowing what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What's the model number?

General suggestion: Try checking the collimation.

Sounds like a reflector which fell 'headfirst', suggesting the seconday mirror mount is now misaligned. Assuming it has a spider mount, loosen and retension the mounting screws until it recenters. You can do this in daylight using a distant object to roughly recenter the focal plane, then a bright star at night to fine tune it.

What type of telescope is it, Refractor, Newtonian or Catadioptric ?

danielandpenn said:
It fell halfway over, denting my metal garbage can lid. The finderscope came off but I could easily reattach it. I can see light and blur now...what should I do?? I don't want to just open it up without knowing what I'm looking for. Thank you!

The model number is 78-8840

Thanks so much everyone. It is a Mak Cassegrain by Bushnell. I will try your advice, first, Chronos. Thank you.

I got it! I unscrewed it, opened it up and put it all back and Voila! It's perfect! Thanks!

Hey! good stuff. :-)

What could have caused my telescope to fall?

There are several possible reasons for a telescope falling, such as improper setup, unstable ground, or accidental bumping. It is important to properly secure your telescope to prevent it from falling in the future.

How can I tell if my telescope is damaged after falling?

You should carefully inspect your telescope for any visible damage, such as bent or broken parts. You can also test the focus and alignment to see if they have been affected by the fall.

Can I fix my telescope myself?

It depends on the extent of the damage. If it is a minor issue, such as a loose screw or misaligned parts, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, for more serious damage, it is best to take your telescope to a professional for repairs.

Is it safe to continue using my telescope after it has fallen?

If there is no visible damage and the telescope still focuses properly, it should be safe to use. However, it is always a good idea to have a professional inspect it to ensure it is in proper working condition.

How can I prevent my telescope from falling in the future?

Make sure to properly secure your telescope to a stable surface and handle it with care. Avoid setting it up on uneven ground or in areas where it could easily get bumped or knocked over.