Is the INTEY Ultra-Clear Telescope a Good Choice for Beginner Astronomers?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Hawksteinman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary: I think it is about par for a first scope. I am intrigued by the idea of a camera-style tripod head to replace the old alt-az style mount heads. The possible downside is that poor tripod heads can be sticky, but at least you can guide it straight to where you want it to go, unlike the alt-az, which usually has a screw to adjust for the alt. I went on a vacation last year to Africa and took a spotting scope with me and it was great to be able to see all of the wildlife up close.
Hawksteinman
I just bought this it will be my first telescope. I won't post the link to the website but I'll post the name and description of the telescope :)

INTEY Ultra-Clear Telescope Christmas Gift Portable Astronomy Telescope Entry-level Telescope for Astronomers and Children (with an Additional Rucksack)

• 70 MM ULTRA-CLEAR TELESCOPE - This fantastic telescope can ensure good imagine quality, correct lateral chromatic aberration, congitudinal chromatic aberration and distortion, with 70 mm larger caliber, 5X24 finderscope and the latest generation of Kellner eyepiece(K).
  • MAGNIFICATION - 16X, 67X. K6mm eyepiece for 67X, K25mm eyepiece for 16X. Finderscope for 5X maganification. Focal length: 400mm. Aperture: 70 mm.
  • ADJUSTABLE TRIPOD - Scalability aluminum tripod, height can be adjusted from about 16-inch to 41-inch, and it permit to use the telescope both in standing or sitting position .
  • DEW SHIELD & DUST SHIELD - With a dew shield and dust cap, one can use it without worry about fogging on the surface of primary mirror and keep tube device from dust in normal times . Amazing telescope for travel and camping.
  • PORTABLE & RELIABLE- Easy to intall and disassemble, with an adtional rucksack for transporting it around and keeping it protected whilst he's not using it. Suitable for beginners to explore land & sky! Offers 24-month warranty, quick replies in case of problem, and instant refunds.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What are you hoping to see? A 70mm aperture is not much light gathering capacity. You will get some good views of the Moon and the bigger planets like Jupiter and Saturn, but you won't see much when looking at faint galaxies.

Likes Hawksteinman
phyzguy said:
What are you hoping to see? A 70mm aperture is not much light gathering capacity. You will get some good views of the Moon and the bigger planets like Jupiter and Saturn, but you won't see much when looking at faint galaxies.

Yeah mainly Jupiter and Saturn first, and maybe try and make out some slightly faint stars. Was hoping maybe a few of the nearest galaxies, and star clusters.

Hawksteinman said:
Yeah mainly Jupiter and Saturn first, and maybe try and make out some slightly faint stars. Was hoping maybe a few of the nearest galaxies, and star clusters.

Bright star clusters like the Pleiades and the Beehive should look cool. And brighter globular clusters like M13. Also try the ring nebula M57, and the Orion nebula M42.

Likes russ_watters and Hawksteinman
It seems like a very nice telescope for watching close, bright objects that you can easily track. The Moon is the obvious target. Should be enough to just about discern Saturn's rings or Jupiter's moons.

The altazimuth mount will make observing anything at large magnification a pain, and the poor light gathering capacity will pretty much preclude seeing galaxies and nebulae as anything other than blueish, diffuse blobs.

Overall, I think it's good at what it aims to do - being an entry-level telescope. You'll learn a lot about what observations entail, as well as what you can expect to see, and will likely find out if it's worth investing in anything more advanced.

Likes russ_watters and Hawksteinman
Hawksteinman said:
I just bought this it will be my first telescope. I won't post the link to the website but I'll post the name and description of the telescope :)

INTEY Ultra-Clear Telescope Christmas Gift Portable Astronomy Telescope Entry-level Telescope for Astronomers and Children (with an Additional Rucksack)

• 70 MM ULTRA-CLEAR TELESCOPE - This fantastic telescope can ensure good imagine quality, correct lateral chromatic aberration, congitudinal chromatic aberration and distortion, with 70 mm larger caliber, 5X24 finderscope and the latest generation of Kellner eyepiece(K).
    • MAGNIFICATION - 16X, 67X. K6mm eyepiece for 67X, K25mm eyepiece for 16X. Finderscope for 5X maganification. Focal length: 400mm. Aperture: 70 mm.
    • ADJUSTABLE TRIPOD - Scalability aluminum tripod, height can be adjusted from about 16-inch to 41-inch, and it permit to use the telescope both in standing or sitting position .
    • DEW SHIELD & DUST SHIELD - With a dew shield and dust cap, one can use it without worry about fogging on the surface of primary mirror and keep tube device from dust in normal times . Amazing telescope for travel and camping.
    • PORTABLE & RELIABLE- Easy to intall and disassemble, with an adtional rucksack for transporting it around and keeping it protected whilst he's not using it. Suitable for beginners to explore land & sky! Offers 24-month warranty, quick replies in case of problem, and instant refunds.
I think it is about par for a first scope. I am intrigued by the idea of a camera-style tripod head to replace the old alt-az style mount heads. The possible downside is that poor tripod heads can be sticky, but at least you can guide it straight to where you want it to go, unlike the alt-az, which usually has a screw to adjust for the alt. I went on a vacation last year to Africa and took a spotting scope on a bad tripod and while it was a bit of a pain, I was able to see and show people all the bright planets and moon.

And don't listen to people who say 70mm is too small: 60mm has been the standard first telescope aperture for 50 years.

Likes Imager, davenn and Hawksteinman
069B9F95-C7BD-4388-9C10-9A6045E754AB.jpg

I seem to be missing a screw or something because there's a hole where you put the eyepiece lens in. And the eyepiece lens is loose. :/

Attachments

• 069B9F95-C7BD-4388-9C10-9A6045E754AB.jpg
    069B9F95-C7BD-4388-9C10-9A6045E754AB.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,192
Hawksteinman said:
I seem to be missing a screw or something because there's a hole where you put the eyepiece lens in. And the eyepiece lens is loose.

oops ... they are all usually the same size/thread on all scopes
look carefully around in all the packing and on the floor ... it may still be around

if you can't find, a local scope shop will probably be able to supply one

Likes Hawksteinman
davenn said:
oops ... they are all usually the same size/thread on all scopes
look carefully around in all the packing and on the floor ... it may still be around

if you can't find, a local scope shop will probably be able to supply one

Yes I found it :D

Likes davenn
Hawksteinman said:

phyzguy said:
Bright star clusters like the Pleiades and the Beehive should look cool. And brighter globular clusters like M13. Also try the ring nebula M57, and the Orion nebula M42.

yes, but don't expect to see them as you do in photographs or you will be deeply disappointed

through small to moderate sized scopes, there is practically zero colour observable by the eyeDave

Likes Hawksteinman
russ_watters said:
And don't listen to people who say 70mm is too small: 60mm has been the standard first telescope aperture for 50 years.
A pair of 10 X 50 binoculars on a tripod is a marvellous way into observational astronomy so 70mm is fine.
davenn said:
yes, but don't expect to see them as you do in photographs or you will be deeply disappointed
Ain't that the truth? But one becomes very realistic about this and just finding and recognising an astronomical object for yourself can give you a real buzz, even when it isn't as impressive as the images they post on Nasa. If you remember that nearly every picture you see on the Web or in a book would have been taken with a 'good' scope and involved an exposure time of many minutes (/hours, possibly)
If you can get to a really dark site (no street lamps for miles) you will be amazed at how much better the telescope seems to work. That's mainly down to your eyes getting well dark adapted.

Likes Hawksteinman

1. What is the aperture size of this telescope?

The aperture size of a telescope refers to the diameter of its primary lens or mirror. A larger aperture allows more light to enter the telescope, resulting in a brighter and clearer image. It is an important factor to consider when determining the quality of a telescope.

2. What type of mount does this telescope have?

The mount of a telescope is the base and support structure that holds the telescope in place. There are two main types of mounts: altazimuth and equatorial. Altazimuth mounts move horizontally and vertically, while equatorial mounts move in a specific direction based on the Earth's rotation. The type of mount can affect the ease of use and accuracy of a telescope.

3. What is the focal length of this telescope?

The focal length of a telescope is the distance between its primary lens or mirror and the point where the image is in focus. A longer focal length results in a narrower field of view and a higher magnification, while a shorter focal length provides a wider field of view and a lower magnification. The focal length is an important factor in determining the type and quality of images that can be seen through a telescope.

4. Can this telescope be used for astrophotography?

Astrophotography is the practice of taking photographs of celestial objects using a telescope. Not all telescopes are suitable for astrophotography, as it requires specific features such as sturdy mounts, tracking capabilities, and compatibility with cameras. It is important to research and choose a telescope that is specifically designed for astrophotography if that is your intended use.

5. Is this telescope suitable for viewing a specific celestial object?

The suitability of a telescope for viewing a specific celestial object depends on several factors, including the aperture size, focal length, and magnification. Some objects may require a larger aperture or specific features to be seen clearly. It is important to research and choose a telescope that is best suited for viewing the specific objects you are interested in.

Back