Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help NASA return to the Moon : Sign the Petition.

Tags:
  1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    As most of us know, President Obama intends to cut NASA's funding to such an extent that the Constellation project is going to be cancelled.

What is implicated in this decision is the fact that it will leave the USA without any space vehicle of any kind to get into space.

This means the USA will be the only country footing the bill for the International Space Station; but it will be the only one unable to get there under its own space program.

So in order to get the government to think again, a petition has been set up.

Please note :

1. Only sign it if you agree.

2. Don't use profanity or vandalise the petition.

3. Use your own name.

I hope you will agree and sign it.

Respectfully

Aqua Fyre

Code (Text):
    http://www.petitiononline.com/NASAMOON/petition.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2
    Sorry, no go from me.

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3
    No go from me either. It's a huge financial drain with little return with current technology.

NASA is investing in private companies (Xspace in particular) that could send people into space.

5. Mar 4, 2010 #4
    No go from here too. I'm Canadian mind you.

6. Mar 4, 2010 #5
    what a waste of money.

7. Mar 4, 2010 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

I have more faith in China reaching the Moon than NASA

8. Mar 4, 2010 #7
    Country pride fail.

I signed that shizz up.

9. Mar 4, 2010 #8
    I'll pass.

I'd rather they never went back to the moon. All they're going to do is investigate the possibility of setting up a station on the moon over where they found the water, which IMO is INCREDIBLY stupid. Although in my opinion, messing with the moon in any way, shape, or form is a bad idea. It plays such an important role in how the Earth functions, I don't know why anyone would even consider anything like that.

10. Mar 4, 2010 #9

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Imagine if they wanted to study the Marianas trench, but instead of sending robots, they insisted that humans must walk on the bottom of the ocean for national pride.

Wouldn't you roll your eyes at that?

11. Mar 4, 2010 #10
    i would only sign it if i get to choose which humans to send away, otherwise, it's a waste of money

12. Mar 4, 2010 #11
    Then you'd pick me right???

13. Mar 4, 2010 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

14. Mar 4, 2010 #13

Hell no I wouldn't. I'd be the first to sign up.

15. Mar 4, 2010 #14
    no, not cost effective

16. Mar 4, 2010 #15
    That reminds me one of the Bill Maher lines about the death panel stuff.

"And you know what, Sarah Palin? I got news for you, honey. If we were gonna get rid of useless people, you would be the first to know."

Is Alaska or say north pole, closer to the moon?

17. Mar 4, 2010 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

I think a group of intelligent individuals with a passion for discovery should form a corporation with a sole purpose of reaching all the planets in our solar system. The business model could include anything from computational analysis, engineering and fabrications, accounting, consulting, etc, so that they could also work on the main goal. This may seem like an impossible idea, but in reality its not so complicated. It takes the most important resource a corporation can have - human capital. If you have a group of individuals who are willing to work hard for a common goal, with a group dynamic that strives for optimal performance and thrives from being with other like-minded people, then you have yourself a successful start-up.

NASA was a good idea, but their budget is set by a corrupt government who left us all in debt. A private organization is not bound by land masses, local silly laws, and financial turmoils for the most part. If you want to launch a satellite into orbit, do it from international waters using Sea Launch or some other custom built design. Expecting a hand out from the government is just pathetic. If you want something done, do it yourself

18. Mar 4, 2010 #17
    I agree with the majority of the posters in this thread. Manned space exploration is not cost effective. I would much rather see robotic missions. But unfortunately the general public and the US government are not motivated by the same things we (the members of the forum) are. Where would we stand right now in our unmanned space exploration program if the 1960's moon race had never happened? I would think that if the members of this forum wanted to look for non cost effective government spending they would look someplace other than manned space flight.

19. Mar 4, 2010 #18
    Well since I would do this job for free... you must be... calling me REALLY fat???

:cry: :cry: :cry:

20. Mar 4, 2010 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Mar 4, 2010 #20

Dembadon

Gold Member

What does that petition have to do with pride in one's country?

22. Mar 4, 2010 #21

turbo

Gold Member

The only reason that we went to the Moon is to prove that we could go to the Moon. There is no reason to go back and lots of reasons not to. Most people would cite the cost of returning and ask what kind of return we could get out of our investment. I would instead point out that we have never developed shielding that can protect humans from solar storms once outside the Earth's magnetic field. We are incredibly lucky that the Sun never threw a tantrum during the Apollo missions or we would have been bringing back crew members dying of radiation poisoning - not a pleasant death, I understand.

23. Mar 4, 2010 #22

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed! I would hope that a person could find many reasons to be proud of this country without the need for novelty.

24. Mar 4, 2010 #23
    Do you want the Chinese to lay claim to the moon? You can never trust those people I tell you!

25. Mar 4, 2010 #24
    Does it matter?

26. Mar 4, 2010 #25

turbo

Gold Member

How would they enforce their claim? Silly argument.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook