Help needed for finding stopping distance?

In summary: Yes, I would say it would be good to show the F=ma part, just to show your thought process and how you arrived at your answer. Good job on solving the problem!
Alpha123

Homework Statement

A tree is being transported on a flatbed trailer by a landscaper. If the base of the tree slides on the trailer, the tree will fall over and be damaged. If the coefficient of static friction between the trailer and the tree is 0.5, what is the minimum stopping distance of the truck, traveling at 15. 278 m/s, if it is to accelerate uniformly and do not have the tree slide forward and fall on the trailer?
Mu s= 0.5
V1= 15.278 m/s
d=?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure but i think
v2^2=v1^2+2ad
Us= Ffs/Fn
f=ma
v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't really know what to do since i wasn't given the mass so i can't find acceleration or normal force[/B]
0.5(9.8)= 4.9
a= -4.9 m/s^2
v2^2-v1^2/2a=d
0^2-15.278^2?29-4.9)
d= 23.8 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Alpha123 said:
i don't really know what to do since i wasn't given the mass so i can't find acceleration or normal force
You can find the acceleration in terms of the stopping distance, right? Mass shouldn't be needed for that.

It's true you can't find the normal force, but just use an unknown "m" if you need to, maybe it will cancel out ;)

how would i find acceleration without the time?
and by using an unknown m do you mean Us= Ffs/ 9.8 x m ?

Alpha123 said:
The truck starts at 15.278 m/s and comes to a stop in a certain distance. The time it takes to stop is completely determined by that distance. (A smaller distance means the truck stopped faster.) You'll have to find a way to calculate the time (in terms of the stopping distance).

Alpha123 said:
Yes

Edit:
or you could use the kinematics equation and bypass the time like haruspex suggested

Alpha123 said:
The first relevant equation you listed does not involve time.
Yes.

Ffs=UFn
=0.5(9.8m)
=4.9m
i first found the frictional force and then i changed it to the acceleration
a= -4.9 m/s^2
then i plugged it into the first relevant equation
v2^2-v1^2/2a=d
0^2-15.278^2/(2 x -4.9)=d
d= 23.8 m
is this the correct way to do it?

also since i found Ffs= - 4.9 m
should i put it into F=ma?
4.9m= ma
a= 4.9m/m
and that way m gets canceled out?

Looks good to me.

And yes the mass cancels out because, although the (maximum) static friction force is proportional to the mass, the force required to accelerate the mass along with the truck is also proportional to the mass, so the mass becomes irrelevant.

all right got it. so if this was a test question i would need to show the F=ma part? Thanks a lot for your help :)

1. What is stopping distance?

Stopping distance is the distance it takes for a vehicle to come to a complete stop after the brakes are applied. It includes both the reaction time of the driver and the braking distance of the vehicle.

2. What factors affect stopping distance?

The main factors that affect stopping distance are the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the road surface, and the condition of the vehicle's brakes and tires. Other factors such as weather conditions and the weight of the vehicle and its load can also have an impact on stopping distance.

3. How is stopping distance calculated?

Stopping distance is calculated by adding the reaction distance and the braking distance. The reaction distance is the distance the vehicle travels during the driver's reaction time, which is typically 0.75 seconds. The braking distance is the distance the vehicle travels while the brakes are applied, and it depends on the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the road, and the vehicle's braking system.

4. How can I determine the stopping distance for my vehicle?

The stopping distance for a specific vehicle can be determined by conducting a braking test. This involves driving the vehicle at a certain speed and then applying the brakes until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. The distance traveled during this test is the stopping distance for that specific vehicle under those specific conditions.

5. How can I reduce my vehicle's stopping distance?

To reduce your vehicle's stopping distance, you can maintain a safe and appropriate speed, regularly maintain your vehicle's brakes and tires, and pay attention to road conditions. Additionally, practicing defensive driving techniques and avoiding distractions while driving can also help reduce stopping distance.