Help on how to find stellar radius with an eclipsing binary system

In summary, the conversation discusses using Newton's version of Kepler's 3rd Law to determine a combined mass in a binary star system. There is uncertainty about whether the primary and secondary refer to two separate systems or different aspects of the same system. The value of a is given as 7 x 10^6 km, but it is unclear what it represents. Assistance in clarifying these details is requested.
arella
Homework Statement
I won't post the problem yet, as I do want to try this on my own, but I really am stuck on how to approach this.

I'm given two images of an eclipsing binary, one labeled primary and one labeled secondary (even at this point, I'm not entire sure what that means). One star remains in the middle, why a notably smaller star orbits around it in positions 1-4 in the secondary example, and 1'-4' in the primary example. I'm given:

- a value for a in kilometers
- P=3.0^d
- t1, t2, t3, and t4 in hours, all corresponding to different positions of the smaller star as it passes/goes behind the larger one.

I'm asked to find the radii of both stars, but I don't know where to start.
Relevant Equations
I know that we have

r = sqrt[L/(4*pi*sigma*T^4)]

but I have no way of getting L or T as far as I know.

I'm also unsure as to why I was given the value for a, as the only equation I can think of to use is Newton's version of Kepler's 3rd.
My best guess right now is use Newton's version of Kepler's 3rd Law to maybe find a combined mass, as I'm under the impression that the smaller star's mass would still be too large to ignore, but I'm not confident. And I wouldn't be sure as where t go from their, either. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a little too much has been lost in your attempt to precis the question. I'm not even sure whether primary and secondary are referring to two different binary systems or aspects of the same binary system, or two minor stars and one major in a triple star system.
And how is 'a' defined?

haruspex said:
I think a little too much has been lost in your attempt to precis the question. I'm not even sure whether primary and secondary are referring to two different binary systems or aspects of the same binary system, or two minor stars and one major in a triple star system.
And how is 'a' defined?
I'm sorry! The primary and secondary are referring to the same system, with the smaller start show crossing in front of the bigger star in the secondary case and crossing behind in the primary. the value a is given as 7 x 10^6 km.

arella said:
I'm sorry! The primary and secondary are referring to the same system, with the smaller start show crossing in front of the bigger star in the secondary case and crossing behind in the primary. the value a is given as 7 x 10^6 km.
I don't care about the value of a, I need to know what it represents.

1. What is an eclipsing binary system?

An eclipsing binary system is a pair of stars that orbit around a common center of mass. From our perspective on Earth, the stars appear to pass in front of each other, causing a periodic decrease in brightness known as an eclipse.

2. How can an eclipsing binary system help us determine the stellar radius?

By measuring the duration and depth of the eclipses, we can calculate the size of each star in the binary system. This is because the amount of light blocked during an eclipse is directly related to the size of the star. By comparing the sizes of both stars, we can determine the stellar radius.

3. What other information do we need to know in order to find the stellar radius using an eclipsing binary system?

In addition to the duration and depth of the eclipses, we also need to know the orbital period of the system and the distance between the stars. This information can be obtained through observations and calculations.

4. Can we use an eclipsing binary system to find the radius of any star?

Yes, we can use an eclipsing binary system to find the radius of any star as long as it is part of a binary system and the necessary information (eclipse duration, depth, orbital period, and distance) can be obtained.

5. Are there any limitations to using an eclipsing binary system to find the stellar radius?

One limitation is that the binary system must be oriented in such a way that we can observe the eclipses from Earth. This means that not all binary systems are suitable for this method. Additionally, the accuracy of the radius calculation depends on the precision of the measurements and calculations.