Physics/astronomy eclipsing binary problem help

• Thread starter Soylentgreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an eclipsing binary system with a period of 1 year. Star Q has 800 solar luminosities while Star R has 5 solar luminosities and a radius of 1,000,000 km and a mass of 0.75 solar masses. The apparent magnitude of Star R is 11.6. The questions asked are: a) the apparent magnitude of Star R, b) the separation of the two stars in km, c) the distance to the star system in parsecs, and d) the absolute magnitude of Star R. The answers are a) 5.8-6.3, b) 7-8x 10^9 km,
Soylentgreen
physics/astronomy eclipsing binary problem! help!

I have been looking at this problem for a while and i am really getting frustrated.

Here it is. I have an eclipsing binary system with a period of 1 year. Star Q has 800 solar luminosities, while the other star, star R, has 5 solar luminosities.
the radius of star R is 1,000,000 km, and it is .75 solar masses. Its apparent magnitude is 11.6.
It does not say whether or not the stars are main sequence.

a) what is the apparent magnitude of star R?
b) what is the separation of the two stars in km
c) what is the distance to the star system in parsecs.
d) what is the absolute magniude of star R.the answer for the above questions are as follows:
a) 5.8-6.3
b) 7-8x 10^9 km
c) 470-530 parsecs
d) 2.8-3.4

i have the answers but i don't know how to get to them and i have been trying for over an hour and a half. please help someone!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
probably not the best place to post this problem.

Hello,

I understand that you are struggling with the eclipsing binary problem in physics and astronomy. Let me try to provide some guidance to help you solve this problem.

First, let's break down the information provided. We have an eclipsing binary system with a period of 1 year. This means that the two stars orbit each other once every year. We also know the luminosity of each star, with star Q being 800 solar luminosities and star R being 5 solar luminosities.

Next, we are given the radius of star R, which is 1,000,000 km, and its mass, which is 0.75 solar masses. We also know its apparent magnitude, which is 11.6. However, we are not given any information about the main sequence status of the stars.

To solve this problem, we need to use some equations from physics and astronomy. First, we can use the relationship between luminosity, apparent magnitude, and distance to calculate the distance to the star system. This equation is:

m - M = 5log(d/10)

Where:
m = apparent magnitude of the star
M = absolute magnitude of the star
d = distance to the star in parsecs

Since we know the apparent magnitude of star R (11.6) and we are trying to find the distance, we can rearrange the equation to solve for d:

d = 10^((m-M+5)/5)

Substituting the values we have for star R, we get:

d = 10^((11.6-M+5)/5)

We also know that the absolute magnitude of the star is related to its luminosity by the equation:

M = -2.5log(L/L_sun)

Where:
L = luminosity of the star
L_sun = luminosity of the Sun (3.828 x 10^26 watts)

Substituting the values for star R, we get:

M = -2.5log(5/3.828 x 10^26)

M = -2.5log(1.307 x 10^-26)

M = 2.5 x 26.883

M = 67.207

Now we can substitute this value for M in the equation for distance and solve for d:

d = 10^((11.6-67.207+5)/5)

d = 10^(-50.

1. What is an eclipsing binary system?

An eclipsing binary system is a pair of stars that orbit each other in such a way that one periodically passes in front of the other, causing a temporary decrease in the overall brightness of the system. This is known as an eclipse.

2. How do eclipsing binary systems help us understand the properties of stars?

By observing the changes in brightness and other characteristics of eclipsing binary systems, scientists can gather information about the size, mass, and temperature of the stars involved. This helps us to better understand the properties and behavior of stars in general.

3. How do we detect eclipsing binary systems?

Eclipsing binary systems are typically detected through the changes in brightness that occur during an eclipse. This can be observed through telescopes or other instruments that can measure the amount of light coming from a star.

4. What can eclipsing binary systems tell us about the universe?

By studying eclipsing binary systems, scientists can gather information about the life cycle of stars, the evolution of galaxies, and even the expansion of the universe. This helps us to better understand the vastness and complexity of our universe.

5. How are eclipsing binary systems different from other types of binary systems?

Eclipsing binary systems are unique in that they allow us to directly observe the changes in brightness and other characteristics of two stars as they orbit each other. This is not possible with other types of binary systems, such as spectroscopic binaries, where the stars are too close together to be individually observed.