1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on Momentum problem

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 3 kg body (mass1) moving at 4 m/s makes an elastic collision with a stationary body(mass2) of mass 2 kg. Find the velocity of each body after the collision

2. Relevant equations
    pi=pf
    w=delta e

3. The attempt at a solution

so because it is elastic collision, it means that kinetic energy is conserved... we can do the following:
    [itex] W=\Delta E [/itex]
    [itex] 0= \Delta KE_1 + \Delta KE_2 [/itex]
    [itex] 0= \frac{1}{2}m_1v_{f1}^2-\frac{1}{2}m_1v_{i1}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_{2f}^2-\frac{1}{2}m_2v_{2i}^2 [/itex]
    [itex] v_{f1} = \sqrt{\frac{m_1v_{i1}^2-m_2v_{2f}^2}{m_1}} [/itex]
    ugh latex wont work:
    vf1=((m1(v1f)^2-m2(v2f)^2)/m1)^1/2
    now we can use momentum conservation to say

pi=pf
    [itex]m_1v_{i1}=-m_1v_{f1}+m_2v_{f2} [/itex]
    we know vf1 from the energy part so we have the following:
    m_1v_{i1}=m_1\sqrt{\frac{m_1v_{i1}^2-m_2v_{f2}^2}{m_1}+m_2v_{f2} [/itex]

so i have one unknown ([itex] v_{f2} [/itex]) and one equation, but that seems awfully horrible to eliminate the final velcity of mass 2. am i even doing it correctly?

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Your equation should be m_1V_1=m_1V_1'+ m_2V_2

Think about it, why would the second m_1V_1 be negative?

Also I think you are confused on this equation:
    the second mass initially has a velocity of zero.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  4. May 28, 2015 #3
    i thought it would be negative becasue it is going in the other direction...
    i know v2i is 0.... thats why i just took it out by the next step (its not in the answer inside my square root).

5. May 28, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't mean that, I hope.
    I assume your point is that it is better to keep a constant definition of which direction is positive. I agree.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  6. May 29, 2015 #5

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

I meant that the second V_1 should be (V_1)' (or V_1 final)

I always thought that both would continue to go in the same direction after collision? Since the first one has no momentum, they will both share a momentum in the same direction won't they?

7. May 29, 2015 #6
    actually, yes youre right. because the mass of the object being hit is smaller, they will go in the same direction. i should have changed that to a plus sign.

8. May 29, 2015 #7
    A simpler notation may help.

One can call the final velociies u and w and substitute for the masses right away.

Then conservation of momentum and conservation of KE will give two equations in u and w which can be solved.

9. May 29, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Whether they will continue in the same direction depends on the relative masses. In this case, as toesockshoe says, they will

10. May 29, 2015 #9
    Make terms by the same masses and divide by part. You make a 1st class equation system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted