• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Help on personal statement for summer research :redface:

help on personal statement for summer research!!!:redface:

HI everybody.
I am in community college(in california) taking second semester of university physics and differential equations. I am planning to apply for summer research in physics (may be to ucla, caltech, and some other university) for which i have to submit a personal statement. But the thing is i don't have any idea about writing personal statement, can anybody help me?
or any of you have done summer research? What am i suppose to learn before applying for summer research, any softwares, courses? Which university accept more student for summer research?
i would be grateful on you guys for your advice :rolleyes:

What I did

Last summer I had a great Internship at the NSF, and although it wasn't a research internship on paper I ended up doing research a small but fun research project. Coming from a small school in Puerto Rico, I had the same problem as you did, I didn't know what to write for my statement. What I decided at the time was to write something as sincere and honest as possible but at the same time displaying my most profound research interests although I knew that it wasn't very specific. It worked for me last year and I'm going to try it again this year. I hope that helps