Help regarding Career with Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's dilemma about choosing between studying engineering or physics. They express their interest in physics and their concerns about job opportunities in India and abroad. They also pose questions about the possibility of switching to engineering after a BSc in physics and the scope of career options with an MSc or PhD. The expert summarizer suggests that the speaker should pursue their passion for physics and mentions the relatively easier job market for physicists in India compared to the USA and Europe. They also advise the speaker to directly inquire with universities about the possibility of switching from a BS in physics to an MS in engineering. The speaker also expresses concerns about discouragement from those around them and the expert summarizer reassures them to follow their dreams despite
SpaceTime94
Hello! I am new here. My name is..err..my username :P

Well, I am in a dilemma. To start...I am 19 years old. I am from India. That's my introduction,I guess? :P

I want to study B.Sc in Physics. I always wanted to be a researcher and professor. But all my friends..(back in India most students with Science in their high school aspire to be an Engineer) are studying Engineering.I was interested too. But not as much as Physics and Maths. I hate chemistry..(actually only the organic part. I LOVE physical chemistry).I was probably swayed and tried an attempt at Engineering. Failed(no surprises there :P)

So...my question to the learned people of this forum are as follows..
1)After a B.Sc..and suppose I get tired and realize it's not for me..can I come back to an M.tech? Because a man needs money to feed :P Like..a B.Sc and then a M.Sc or M.Tech? Can I do a B.Tech after M.Sc too?
2) Suppose after B.Sc...can I do a Major in Physics and a minor in Engineering?
3) Scopes with M.Sc? Like research firms or such? or Ph.D?

I am kind of confused with my choices. Could anyone be kind enough to help me out?

Note: I am planning to do higher studies in preferably abroad.

Thanks! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like physics, then do it. In India it is still not to hard to find a job as a physicist compared to USA or Europe, where competition for physics-related jobs is much tougher (however keep in mind that this can change in a few years).

If you realize that physics is not for you, then after a BS in physics you likely can make an MS in engineering, at least in USA and many European countries that is possible. Check whether it can be done in your preferred university, just ask them directly.

Last edited:
Thank You so much for such a quick and honest reply! Really appreciate it! :D

True. I totally agree with the first first. However..finding a job is not just enough. If I am going to be a physicist,I need funds. As far as India is concerned,it is a wonderful place for Engineers. Pure stream students have a real difficulty. Being a physicist is easy..getting scope after that is tough. And I assure you,tougher than the States or Europe.Competition..I can handle(probably a very bold and confident thing to say. I am sorry if that makes me sound conceited). The path of your dream is never easy I guess.
You said " In India it is still not to hard to find a job as a physicist compared to USA or Europe, where competition for physics-related jobs is much tougher (however keep in mind that this can change in a few years). "
Could you elucidate on that point? How is it tougher? You mean a research firm or such?
I am actually very confused about all of this. People around me keep discouraging me from doing a BS and this scares me.

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in Physics?

There are many career paths that you can pursue with a degree in Physics. Some popular options include becoming a physicist, engineer, data analyst, teacher, or working in research and development. Other fields such as finance, healthcare, and technology also value individuals with a strong background in Physics.

2. How can I prepare for a career in Physics while still in school?

To prepare for a career in Physics, it is important to take challenging courses in math and science during high school. You can also participate in extracurricular activities, such as science clubs or internships, to gain hands-on experience and learn more about different career options. Additionally, obtaining a bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field is a great way to gain the necessary knowledge and skills for a successful career.

3. What skills are important for a career in Physics?

Some important skills for a career in Physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical reasoning, and strong mathematical abilities. It is also crucial to have excellent communication and teamwork skills, as many careers in Physics involve collaborating with others and presenting your findings.

4. What are the job prospects for someone with a degree in Physics?

The job market for individuals with a degree in Physics is strong and continues to grow. Many industries, such as technology and healthcare, are in need of individuals with a strong background in Physics to help with research, development, and innovation. Additionally, a degree in Physics can open up opportunities for higher education and advanced research positions.

5. Can I pursue a career in Physics if I do not have a degree in the field?

While having a degree in Physics or a related field is beneficial for pursuing a career in the field, it is not always required. Many industries value individuals with a strong understanding of Physics and are willing to train and provide on-the-job learning opportunities. Additionally, taking courses in Physics or obtaining a minor in the field can also help prepare you for a career in Physics.