1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help regarding Career with Physics

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    Hello! I am new here. My name is..err..my username :P

Well, I am in a dilemma. To start...I am 19 years old. I am from India. That's my introduction,I guess? :P

I want to study B.Sc in Physics. I always wanted to be a researcher and professor. But all my friends..(back in India most students with Science in their high school aspire to be an Engineer) are studying Engineering.I was interested too. But not as much as Physics and Maths. I hate chemistry..(actually only the organic part. I LOVE physical chemistry).I was probably swayed and tried an attempt at Engineering. Failed(no surprises there :P)

So...my question to the learned people of this forum are as follows..
    1)After a B.Sc..and suppose I get tired and realize it's not for me..can I come back to an M.tech? Because a man needs money to feed :P Like..a B.Sc and then a M.Sc or M.Tech? Can I do a B.Tech after M.Sc too?
    2) Suppose after B.Sc...can I do a Major in Physics and a minor in Engineering?
    3) Scopes with M.Sc? Like research firms or such? or Ph.D?

I am kind of confused with my choices. Could anyone be kind enough to help me out?

Note: I am planning to do higher studies in preferably abroad.

Thanks! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2
    If you like physics, then do it. In India it is still not to hard to find a job as a physicist compared to USA or Europe, where competition for physics-related jobs is much tougher (however keep in mind that this can change in a few years).

If you realise that physics is not for you, then after a BS in physics you likely can make an MS in engineering, at least in USA and many European countries that is possible. Check whether it can be done in your preferred university, just ask them directly.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    Thank You so much for such a quick and honest reply! Really appreciate it! :D

True. I totally agree with the first first. However..finding a job is not just enough. If I am going to be a physicist,I need funds. As far as India is concerned,it is a wonderful place for Engineers. Pure stream students have a real difficulty. Being a physicist is easy..getting scope after that is tough. And I assure you,tougher than the States or Europe.

Competition..I can handle(probably a very bold and confident thing to say. I am sorry if that makes me sound conceited). The path of your dream is never easy I guess.
    You said " In India it is still not to hard to find a job as a physicist compared to USA or Europe, where competition for physics-related jobs is much tougher (however keep in mind that this can change in a few years). "
    Could you elucidate on that point? How is it tougher? You mean a research firm or such?

I am actually very confused about all of this. People around me keep discouraging me from doing a BS and this scares me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook