Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help required with chemical formula and spectrophotometry

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    Hi guys,

I have what I hope is a simple question. basically I have a known crystal structure with a known dopant, however I don't know what the charge on the dopant is and I can't find it in any papers. Now I'm not sure if this is something I just need to find or whether this is something I can determine from analysis (I did study chmistry to the highest secondary level but I can't actually remember much of the methodology). Anyway I would appreciate if someone could tell me the charges and explain how they were oobtained for the equation below (if possible):

Lu2SiO5:Ce where Ce is the dopant

Additionally, this material is a scintillator and I have measure the transmission for the 200-1000nm range. In the UV region there are a couple of transmission spikes that I would not expect for a scintillator. Could this be due to the Ce dopant?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

4. Mar 9, 2013 #3
    Thanks for that DrDu. for some reason I never thought to actually search for the formula and instead used the common name LYSO. Just goes to show how easily you can overlook the obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook