Transmission Line Coefficients & Definitions

In summary, a distortionless transmission line has attenuating coefficients that shift all frequencies in time by the same amount, while a lossless transmission line does not have any energy loses along the line due to coefficients.
Jason-Li

Homework Statement

(a) State what is meant by a ‘distortionless’ and a ‘lossless’ transmission line.(b) A transmission line has the primary coefficients as given below. Determine the line’s secondary coefficients Zo, α and β at a frequency of 1 GHz.
R = 2 Ω/m
L = 8 nH/m
G=0.5 mS/m
C=0.23 pF/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen some old threads with this question, but it's more the workings, methodology and definitions - if someone could be so kind to have a look over.
a)
Distortionless:
The transmission line in order to be 'distortionless' must both attenuate all signal frequencies in the same proportion and shift them in time by the same amount.
Loseless:
A transmission line is known as loseless when there are no energy loses along the line due to coeffecients R & G. This occurs when both of the aforementioned coefficients equal 0.

b)
So:
R &= 2 Ω/m
L &= 8 nH/m = 8x10^{-9} H/m
G=0.5 mS/m = 0.0005 S/m
C &=0.23 pF/m = 0.23*10^{-12} F/m

ω=2πf = 1x10^{9} *2π = 6.283*10^{9)

Due to high frequency the formulas:
β = ω√(LC)
= 6.283*10^{9} * √ ( 8*10^{-9) * 0.23*10^{-12}
= 0.26951 Radm-1

α = R/2 * √(C/L)+G/*√(L/C)
= 2/2 * √(0.23*10^{-12}/8*10^{-9})+0.0005/2*√(8*10^{-9}/0.23*10^{-12})
= 1 * 0.00536+0.00025*186.501
= 0.05198714308
= 51.987 mNepers m-1

Zo = √((R+jωL)/ (G+jωC))
= √((2+j6.283*10^{9}*8*10^{-9}) / (0.0005+j6.283*10^{9}*0.23*10^{-12}))
= √ ( (2+j16π) / (0.0005+j(0.00046π) )
= √ (31491.630+j9511.802)
= 179.427+j26.506Ω

I appreciate any and all help. If anyone else is doing this question and wants advice I can try to help also.

Physics news on Phys.org
This all looks good.

An exact value of α = 0.5(R/R0 + G/G0)
where R0 = Re{Z0} and G0 = Re{Y0} and Y0 = 1/Z0
which checks with your computation (within a few %; I approximated Z0 = R0 and G0 = 1/R0).

Likes Jason-Li
rude man said:
This all looks good.

which checks with your computation (within a few %; I approximated Z0 = R0 and G0 = 1/R0).

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Likes berkeman
rude man said:
This all looks good.

Hi again Rudeman,

Was looking over my old working and found that in the final line of working is incorrect, unless I'm just being an idiot!

= 179.427+j26.506Ω

Just to update this post.

Jason-Li said:
Hi again Rudeman,

Was looking over my old working and found that in the final line of working is incorrect, unless I'm just being an idiot!

= 179.427+j26.506Ω

Just to update this post.
Well, I checked that last computation and found it correct. So you don't meet the qualifications for idiot. Sorry! :smile:

As I said, I had previously checked your answer against my approximate one and found it correct also.
So I'm not sure what problems are still extant?

1. What is a transmission line coefficient?

A transmission line coefficient is a numerical value used to describe the behavior of a transmission line. It represents the relationship between the voltage and current at different points along the line and is used to calculate important parameters such as impedance, reflection coefficient, and attenuation.

2. What is the difference between characteristic impedance and surge impedance?

Characteristic impedance is the ratio of voltage to current at any point on a transmission line. It is a constant value and is used to calculate the reflection coefficient. Surge impedance, on the other hand, is the ratio of voltage to current at the input of a transmission line when it is terminated with a short circuit. It is used to calculate the surge impedance loading of a transmission line.

3. How are inductance and capacitance related to transmission line coefficients?

Inductance and capacitance play a significant role in the behavior of transmission lines. Inductance is related to the magnetic field around the conductors, while capacitance is related to the electric field between the conductors. These two parameters affect the characteristic impedance and propagation velocity of a transmission line, which in turn influence the transmission line coefficients.

4. What is the significance of the reflection coefficient in transmission lines?

The reflection coefficient is a measure of how much of a signal is reflected back from the load at the end of a transmission line. It is important because it determines the amount of power that is transmitted and the amount that is reflected. A high reflection coefficient can cause signal distortion and loss of power, while a low reflection coefficient indicates efficient power transfer.

5. How are transmission line coefficients affected by frequency?

Transmission line coefficients are frequency-dependent, meaning they vary with the frequency of the signal being transmitted. As the frequency increases, the characteristic impedance and attenuation of a transmission line also increase. This can lead to signal distortion and loss of power, making it important to carefully design and analyze transmission lines for specific frequency ranges.