1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help solving Fluid Force problem

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.20m wide tank is filled with water totaling 1.87m (H1). There is a hatch cosisting of a portion of a wall of the tank which is 1.15m(H2) in length (measured from the bottom of the tank). What is the Force on the hatch resulting from the water?

2. Relevant equations
    F = INTEGRAL<UPPERBOUND = b, LOWERBOUND = a> ( wgp(b-y)dy ) = 0.5wgp[b^2 - a^2]

p = density of water = 1000 kg/m^3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried this problem many different times and I can't seem to get the correct answer. From my point of view the lower bound of integration would be 0.72 (1.87 -1.15) and the upper bound would be 1.87. This gives an answer of 32108 N, which is incorrect. Any help is greatly appreaciated!

Edit: Sorry about being unable to use the integral in the pallete correctly, I can't figure out how to but in bounds (if you can).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2
    I'm also not quite sure this integral is fine...

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    Fixed up that typo. The integral is one which i got from my physics textbook. Well actually the integral is just 0.5wpgb^2 since the problem in the text is asking about the pressure over the entire wall (ie from 0 to b) but all i did was make the lower bound non-zero.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  5. Sep 19, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How are you defining y? And what are you using now for a and b?

The key here, which you seem to be aware of, is that the pressure is p*g*depth.

6. Sep 19, 2009 #5
    Well a is the point from which i'm measuring the liquid and b is the point at which I stop measuring. So a = 0.72 m and b = 1.87 m. As for how y is defined its the distance from the top (ie a) to a infindesimal strip (ie dA = wdy).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook