Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help solving ODE's using eigenfunction expansion, in general

1. Aug 11, 2012 #1
    My ODE textbook does not help me much here; and a large number of master's exam practice tests (with worked out solutions) also isn't helping me. I need someone to recommend a (preferably ONLINE) source that clearly states how to solves ODES using eigenfunction expansion.
    For example, y''+y=kcosx with y'(0)=0, y'(pie)=1.
    This is just an example of the type I want to learn how to solve.
    It seems that when the boundary conditions are homogeneous, this problem is easily solved by plugging in an infinite series: y=Sum(a_n*cos(nx)) into the left side, and then plugging in a different series: Sum(b_n*cosnx)=kcosx..then equating coefficients and getting the b_n's. BUT when the BC are non-homogeneous, there appears to be extra work.

Help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2
    Uhm... i am not sure you have a proper textbook.
    Also, I am not sure if you are familiar with fourier tranformation. It is an interesting way to deal a wide class of equations.
    Basically, it is almost the same thing you did but applying the transformation at both sides . You can easily look in the web. for exemple your example will became after transforming, something like..

[itex] (1-w^2)\tilde{y}(w) = kC (\delta(w-1) + \delta(w+1)) [/itex]

You see that the solution is straightforward as there is no derivatives. You should now inverse transform the solution if you want. I used some properties of Fourier transform to deal with the derivatives but again i think you should find it easily.

4. Aug 13, 2012 #3
    Ok let me rephrase: can someone give me and work out a complete example with non-homogeneous boundary conditions, using eigenfunction expansion? let's say, y''+y=x+ cosx,
    y(0)=0, y(pie)=A..just to come up with one off the top of my head.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook