Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an ODE using shooting method

1. Dec 29, 2014 #1
    Hi, I am trying to solve the following ODE for my maths project:

## y'' = \frac{\alpha}{2}y^3 - \frac{3}{2}y^2 + y - \frac{3}{x} y'##

under the following boundary conditions:

## y'(0) = 0 ##
    ## y(x) \rightarrow y \_ \equiv 0\ \text{as}\ x \rightarrow \infty ##

As a first step, I converted this problem into a set of coupled ODEs:

## \frac{dy}{dx} = z##
    ## \frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{\alpha}{2}y^3 - \frac{3}{2}y^2 + y - \frac{3}{x} z##

under the following boundary conditions:

## z(0) = 0 ##
    ## y(x) \rightarrow y \_ \equiv 0\ \text{as}\ x \rightarrow \infty ##

Next, my source tells me to use the shooting method to convert the BVP into an IVP, which means that I have to use two initial guesses of ## y(0) ## to be able to use the secant method to find the correct value of ## y(0) ##.

Now, my question is, according to my source, I can avoid the singularity at x = 0 using Taylor expansion as follows:

## y(r_{0}) = y_{0} + \frac{1}{16} r_{0}^{2} (2y_{0} - 3y_{0}^{2} + \alpha y_{0}^{3}) ##

I see how you can estimate ## y(r_{0}) ## where ## r_{0} ## is a tiny distance away from the origin, but I don't really see how they dervied this expression. Could anyone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2014 #2
    Just set y(0)'=0 and y(0)=y_0 in the original DE.
    Then use this as your second derivative in your taylor series.

EDIT: Tried it myself, something weird is going on. The numerical factors come out different for me.
    Maybe an error? I don't see where the factor of 1/16 comes from. It comes out as 1/4 for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. Dec 29, 2014 #3
    Start out by representing y as a function of x at small values of y by y(x) = y(0)+bx2. Then

y' = 2bx
    y''=2b

3y'/x = 6b

So ##8b=\frac{\alpha}{2}y(0)^3-\frac{3}{2}y(0)^2+y(0)##

So, ##y(r_0)=y(0)+br_0^2=y(0)+\frac{1}{8}r_0^2(\frac{\alpha}{2}y(0)^3-\frac{3}{2}y(0)^2+y(0))##

Chet

5. Jan 2, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the solution. I also came to the conclusion, but I used ## \frac{y''(0)}{2} ## in place of ## b ##. I have written the code that solves the ODE in my original post, but it's giving me unexpected results. I was wondering if anyone in Physics Forums might want to have a look at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook