Solving an ODE using shooting method

In summary, if you want to avoid the singularity at x=0, you can use the Taylor expansion to estimate y(r_0).
spaghetti3451
Hi, I am trying to solve the following ODE for my maths project:

## y'' = \frac{\alpha}{2}y^3 - \frac{3}{2}y^2 + y - \frac{3}{x} y'##

under the following boundary conditions:

## y'(0) = 0 ##
## y(x) \rightarrow y \_ \equiv 0\ \text{as}\ x \rightarrow \infty ##
As a first step, I converted this problem into a set of coupled ODEs:

## \frac{dy}{dx} = z##
## \frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{\alpha}{2}y^3 - \frac{3}{2}y^2 + y - \frac{3}{x} z##

under the following boundary conditions:

## z(0) = 0 ##
## y(x) \rightarrow y \_ \equiv 0\ \text{as}\ x \rightarrow \infty ##Next, my source tells me to use the shooting method to convert the BVP into an IVP, which means that I have to use two initial guesses of ## y(0) ## to be able to use the secant method to find the correct value of ## y(0) ##.

Now, my question is, according to my source, I can avoid the singularity at x = 0 using Taylor expansion as follows:

## y(r_{0}) = y_{0} + \frac{1}{16} r_{0}^{2} (2y_{0} - 3y_{0}^{2} + \alpha y_{0}^{3}) ##

I see how you can estimate ## y(r_{0}) ## where ## r_{0} ## is a tiny distance away from the origin, but I don't really see how they dervied this expression. Could anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just set y(0)'=0 and y(0)=y_0 in the original DE.
Then use this as your second derivative in your taylor series.

EDIT: Tried it myself, something weird is going on. The numerical factors come out different for me.
Maybe an error? I don't see where the factor of 1/16 comes from. It comes out as 1/4 for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Start out by representing y as a function of x at small values of y by y(x) = y(0)+bx2. Then

y' = 2bx
y''=2b

3y'/x = 6b

So ##8b=\frac{\alpha}{2}y(0)^3-\frac{3}{2}y(0)^2+y(0)##

So, ##y(r_0)=y(0)+br_0^2=y(0)+\frac{1}{8}r_0^2(\frac{\alpha}{2}y(0)^3-\frac{3}{2}y(0)^2+y(0))##

Chet

Likes spaghetti3451
Thanks for the solution. I also came to the conclusion, but I used ## \frac{y''(0)}{2} ## in place of ## b ##. I have written the code that solves the ODE in my original post, but it's giving me unexpected results. I was wondering if anyone in Physics Forums might want to have a look at it.

Hello,

I can provide some insight into this problem. The shooting method is a numerical technique used to solve boundary value problems (BVPs) by converting them into initial value problems (IVPs). This involves using two initial guesses for the boundary condition at the starting point, and then using the secant method to find the correct value of the boundary condition.

In your case, the BVP has been converted into a set of coupled ODEs, which is a common approach. However, you have also encountered a singularity at x=0, which can be problematic for numerical methods. The Taylor expansion you mentioned is a way to avoid this singularity by approximating the solution near x=0 using the values at a small distance away (r0).

To understand how this expression was derived, we can consider the Taylor series expansion of y(x) around x=0:

## y(x) = y(0) + y'(0)x + \frac{y''(0)}{2!}x^2 + ... ##

Since we know y'(0) = 0 from the boundary condition, we can simplify this to:

## y(x) = y(0) + \frac{y''(0)}{2!}x^2 + ... ##

Now, if we expand y''(0) using the given ODE, we get:

## y''(0) = \frac{\alpha}{2}y(0)^3 - \frac{3}{2}y(0)^2 + y(0) - \frac{3}{x}y'(0) ##

Substituting y'(0)=0 and rearranging, we get:

## y(0) = \frac{y''(0)}{\frac{\alpha}{2}y(0)^2 - \frac{3}{2}y(0) + 1} ##

Finally, using the definition of r0 as a small distance away from x=0, we can write:

## y(r0) = y(0) + y'(0)r0 + \frac{y''(0)}{2!}r0^2 + ... ##

Substituting y'(0)=0 and y''(0) from the previous expression, we get:

## y(r0) = y(0) + \frac{y''(0)}{2!}r

1. What is the shooting method for solving ODEs?

The shooting method is a numerical technique for solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It involves transforming the ODE into a system of first-order differential equations and then solving the resulting initial value problem using an iterative process.

2. How does the shooting method work?

The shooting method works by first guessing an initial value for the unknown boundary condition. This initial value is then used to solve the ODE using an appropriate numerical method. If the resulting solution does not satisfy the boundary condition, the initial guess is adjusted and the process is repeated until the desired accuracy is achieved.

3. When is the shooting method used?

The shooting method is commonly used for solving boundary value problems, where the values of the dependent variable are known at both ends of the interval. It is particularly useful for solving nonlinear ODEs that cannot be solved analytically.

4. What are the advantages of using the shooting method?

One advantage of the shooting method is that it can handle a wide range of ODEs, including stiff and highly nonlinear equations. It also allows for the use of different numerical methods for solving the ODE, providing flexibility in finding the most accurate solution.

5. What are the limitations of the shooting method?

One limitation of the shooting method is that it may require a significant number of iterations to achieve the desired accuracy. This can result in a longer computational time compared to other numerical methods. Additionally, the shooting method may not work for ODEs with discontinuous or irregular solutions.