Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help two questions in math. analysis .

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    help...two questions in math. analysis.....

1) prove : every bounded open interval(a,b) where a less than b and a,b in R , then is an open set.

2) If c = supA and a is not the maximum of A, then sup(A\{a})= c.

I really don't know how to prove those two....thanks for helping me...really...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    if x is in (a,b) then a<x<b, so what can you say about b-x and x-a? Choose a epsilon neighborhood of x that is contained in (a,b) appropriately.

we have that c=supA and that a is not the max of A. The latter statement needs some unraveling - I presume a IS inside A so then it means that a is NOT an upper bound of A, i.e. there exists a b in A s.t. b>a. Take epsilon to be small and positive, then look at c minus epsilon. Remember there is a b in A with b>a, which also means that b IS not a.

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Do you know what is an open set ?

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
    if x is contained in (a,b) and there is no intersection with ]a,b[ , then it is an open set?

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    A better way to define open set would be to say every point in the neighborhood is in the set.

7. Sep 26, 2007 #6
    Just read the reply by SidharthM, and read about open interval, open set, etc. on wikipedia. Giving the whole solution would not help in your understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?