Help understanding error progression.

• Thread starter mroldboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary: For example, if you have concentrations C1=C1(volumes), C2=C2(volumes), etc., and each concentration has a percentage error "err", then the error of the final concentration C_final = C_final(C1,C2,...) should beerr_final = sqrt( (err1*C1)^2 + (err2*C2)^2 + ... ) / C_final.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the uncertainty in the concentrations of compounds added to a standard tank in a lab. This involves using error progression, which is the basic arithmetic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The rules for calculating uncertainty include adding the errors of quantities for addition and subtraction, and adding the
mroldboy

Homework Statement

We have made a standard tank in our lab. I need to calculate the uncertainty in the concentrations of the compounds we added to the tank.

Homework Equations

My professor indicated that I would need to use error progression to calculate an accurate uncertainty for the tank. I need some help understanding how this is done. Searching online he may have meant uncertainty propagation.

For the tank we calculated the final concentrations this way.

1) volumetric injections of compounds.
2) pressurized tank with nitrogen gas.
3) calculated volume of tank by filling with nitrogen to a measured pressure and calculating the volume using ideal gas law
4) weighed tank before and after addition of compounds and gas, so we know the weight of the nitrogen.
5) calculate concentration by converting to mols and dividing mols of compound by mols of nitrogen in the tank.

So the measurements we have are

injection volumes ex: 180 uL +- 2.5
pressure reading 1.01 bar +-0.01
Weight of N2 7.0 g +- 0.1

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand what uncertainty is, I have calculated the uncertainty in the final concentrations, but only using the uncertainty in the volumes of compound we added to the tank like +-2.5 microliters.

Is there a function in excel to calculate the uncertainty using error progression? That is what I used to calculate the tank concentrations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not following in detail how you calculated everything, but it seems it involves the basic arithmetic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division). The rules usually used are:

For addition and subtraction, add the errors of the quantities. (This would apply to subtracting the before-and-after tank weights, for example, to get the nitrogen weight.)

For multiplication and division, add the percentage (or fractional) errors of the quantities.

1. What is error progression and why is it important in scientific research?

Error progression refers to the process of identifying and correcting errors in data or experiments over time. It is important in scientific research because it helps ensure the accuracy and reliability of results, leading to more valid conclusions.

2. How do errors progress and what are the common types of errors in scientific research?

Errors can progress through various stages, starting with data collection and continuing through data analysis and interpretation. Common types of errors in scientific research include measurement, sampling, and human error.

3. What are some strategies for understanding and managing error progression in scientific research?

One strategy is to carefully plan and design experiments to minimize potential errors. Another is to regularly check and validate data throughout the research process. Additionally, collaborating with other researchers and seeking feedback can help identify and address errors.

4. How can error progression affect the validity and reliability of research findings?

If error progression is not properly managed, it can lead to inaccurate or biased results, impacting the validity and reliability of research findings. This can also hinder the ability to replicate results and draw accurate conclusions.

5. What are some tools or techniques that can aid in understanding and managing error progression?

Data visualization tools, statistical analyses, and quality control procedures are some common techniques used to identify and manage error progression in scientific research. Additionally, using standardized protocols and documenting all steps and changes in the research process can help track and address errors.