Help Understanding Lorentz Factor

In summary, the question is about finding the observed speed of a projectile fired from a train moving at .9c relative to a stationary observer, at a speed of .5c relative to the train. The correct observed speed can be found using the velocity transformation formula and applying two Lorentz boosts.
mdergance3
If I am at rest and I observe a train moving past me at .9c and then the train fires a projectile at .5c relative to it how fast do I observe the projectile moving?

With the speeds given, the lorentz factor is 2.294. I made the incorrect assumtion that I could just take the .5c and divide it by the lorentz factor since S = d/t and time is now 2.294 times slower.

How do I find the correct observed speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
mdergance3 said:
If I am at rest and I observe a train moving past me at .9c and then the train fires a projectile at .5c relative to it how fast do I observe the projectile moving?

With the speeds given, the lorentz factor is 2.294. I made the incorrect assumtion that I could just take the .5c and divide it by the lorentz factor since S = d/t and time is now 2.294 times slower.

How do I find the correct observed speed?

Apply the velocity transformation.

For this the simplest way is to just use the velocity addition formulas. If you want to know where that formula came from, though, you can do 2 lorentz boosts, one from the projectile's Frame to the train frame, and then from the train frame to the platform frame.

1. What is the Lorentz factor?

The Lorentz factor, also known as the Lorentz transformation or gamma factor, is a factor used in special relativity to relate the measurements of time and distance between two frames of reference that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other.

2. How is the Lorentz factor calculated?

The Lorentz factor is calculated using the equation γ = 1/√(1 - v^2/c^2), where v is the relative velocity between the two frames of reference and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz factor?

The Lorentz factor is significant because it accounts for the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity. It also plays a crucial role in the equations of motion for objects moving at relativistic speeds.

4. How does the Lorentz factor affect the perception of time and distance?

The Lorentz factor causes time to appear to slow down and distances to appear to shorten for objects moving at relativistic speeds. This effect becomes more pronounced as the relative velocity approaches the speed of light.

5. Can the Lorentz factor be applied to everyday situations?

While the Lorentz factor is most commonly used in the context of special relativity, its principles can be applied to everyday situations such as GPS technology, which uses the Lorentz factor to account for the effects of time dilation on satellite clocks. It also plays a role in the design of particle accelerators and other high-speed technologies.