Help Union Labor at Convention Center

In summary, a person is trying to figure out if a union employee can push a 40 lb trough filled with 250- 12oz sodas and 40 lbs of ice on top of a sico table on wheels that weighs 125lbs. The wheels are about 5 inches from the ground and the floors are flat and smooth. The answer depends on the type of wheels and the surface they are rolling on. A friction equation can be used to estimate the force needed to push the table, but the coefficient is difficult to estimate. Empirical data from a scale may be needed to determine the actual force required. It is also possible for 2-3 people to push the table together.
yvonnes
Help! Union Labor at Convention Center

I was hoping someone could help me figure out the following: If I have a 40 lb trough filled with 250- 12oz sodas and 40 lbs of ice on top of a sico table on wheels that weighs 125lbs...how can i figure out if a union employee can push this to our events. Right now they are only allowed to lift no more than 50 pounds. What in weight are they pusing? How can I figure that out? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

It depends on many things. If they are big wheels, and you roll on a very flat floor, it could be ok, but if the wheels are small and the rolling surface is rough and not level, this could be quite a job.

Why can't 2-3 people push or pull together?

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
It depends on many things. If they are big wheels, and you roll on a very flat floor, it could be ok, but if the wheels are small and the rolling surface is rough and not level, this could be quite a job.

Why can't 2-3 people push or pull together?

We have very large events that require us to push many tables at a time. I need a formula that I can use to show to the union. The wheels are about 5 inches from the ground and our floors are flat and smooth...hospital like.

You can start with the friction equation which is friction coefficient times weight = force. But estimating the coefficient will be difficult. For very good wheels with bearings, it might be .1, but for mediocre wheels it could be .3. For .1 and a weight of 400lb, that gives 40lb of force. But it could easily be double or triple that if the wheels are bad.

Simple answer: they aren't lifting anything; they're pushing!

I think you'll have to go out and get a scale of some sort and gather some empirical data :D

Try this:

1. Get a volunteer to push a regular person-scale against the table.
2. Take the reading as soon as the table starts moving.

In principle, the hardest part is to get it going from a standing start. So the force never has to be be greater than that reading as it starts moving.

Of course, nothing prevents anyone to push as hard they want. And don't forget that when it's going, it might be as hard to stop.

I agree, the physics answer is that arbitrary little force is needed. The real interesting part involves friction and lumps in the carpet and so on, which were not stated with the problem.

1. What is the purpose of "Help Union Labor at Convention Center"?

The purpose of "Help Union Labor at Convention Center" is to raise awareness and support for the labor union workers who provide essential services at convention centers. These workers often face challenges and need assistance to protect their rights and livelihoods.

2. Why is it important to support union labor at convention centers?

Supporting union labor at convention centers is crucial because these workers play a vital role in ensuring the smooth operations of events and conferences. They deserve fair wages, benefits, and safe working conditions, which can only be achieved through the collective bargaining power of a union.

3. How can I help union labor at convention centers?

You can help union labor at convention centers by educating yourself and others about the importance of their work and the struggles they face. You can also support their cause by attending events that promote union labor or by donating to organizations that fight for workers' rights.

4. What are some challenges faced by union labor at convention centers?

Union labor at convention centers often face challenges such as low wages, lack of benefits, and unsafe working conditions. They may also face resistance from employers who try to undermine their rights to organize and collectively bargain.

5. Are there any benefits to supporting union labor at convention centers?

Yes, there are numerous benefits to supporting union labor at convention centers. By doing so, you are not only standing up for workers' rights and promoting fair labor practices, but you are also contributing to the overall success and quality of events and conferences. Additionally, supporting union labor helps to strengthen the local economy and communities.