1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a Geometry Problem - Calculating The Radius of a Curve

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    Hello all

I work in transport engineering. i have come across what seems to be a simple maths problem but i do not understand it.

The problem relates to geometry i.e. calculating the radius of a curve using a chord and a versine.

The problem is this:-

" a general rule of thumb is as follows: with a chord length on 20m, the versine measured in mm (v) divided by 50000 gives the radius in meters (R) i.e. v=25mm -25/50000=2000-R=2000m"

when i work this out i do not get 2000m. also the problem shows a -25 it could be a minus or just a dash i cannot be sure.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    Well, your confusion is justified. It's an incoherent mess. None of those minus signs is a minus sign. Check the page www.mathopenref.com/arcradius.html and you should understand what is happening. Following the symbols used on that page, plug in a versed sine of H=25mm and a chord length of W=20m and you get the desired result of R=2000m.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook