1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a proof with discrete dynamical sysmtes / chaos theory.

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the families of iterating functions Fλ(x) = λ(x3 - x). Fλ(x) undergoes a bifurcation at λ=1, about the fixed point x=0. Figure out what ilk of bifurcation is occurring for Fλ(x) and prove your assertion rigorously.

2. Relevant equations
    My book says this about period-doubling bifurcations, and I need to prove all four of these to prove the problem.
    Definition: A one-parameter family of functions Fλ undergoes a period-doubling bifurcation at the parameter value λ=λ0 if there is an open interval and an ε such that:
    1. For each λ in the interval [λ0 - ε, λ0 + ε], there is a unique fixed point pλ for Fλ in I.
    2.For λ0 - ε < λ < λ0, Fλ has no cycles of period 2 in I and pλ is attracting (resp. repelling).
    3.For λ0 < λ < λ0 + ε, there is a unique 2-cycle q1λ,q2λ in I with Fλ(q1λ)=q2λ. This 2-cycle is attracting (resp. repelling). Meanwhile, the fixed point pλ is repelling (resp. attracting).
    4.As λ -> λ0, we have qiλ -> pλ0
    Also, these theorems are necessary (I think).
    Chain Rule Along A Cycle: Suppose x0, x2, ..., xn-1 lie on a cycle of period n for F with xi = Fi(x0). Then
    (Fn)'(x0) = F'(xn-1) * ... * F'(x1) * F'(x0).
    The corollary for this is:
    Suppose x0, x1, ..., xn-1 lie on an n-cycle for F. Then
    (Fn)'(x0) = (Fn)'(x1) = ... = (Fn)'(xn-1)

3. The attempt at a solution\
    I have almost no idea where to start the proof. So far I have:
    The interval I can = (-1, 1).

To answer 1., I know that there are fixed points at 0, +sqrt(2), -sqrt(2). So to have a unique fixed point pλ in the interval [λ0 - ε, λ0 + ε], 0<ε<sqrt(2). Can I just choose an arbitrary ε, like ε=1?

To answer 2., if ε=1, λ0 - ε < λ < λ0, so 0 - 1 < λ < 0, so -1<λ<0. I used algebra and got 2-cycles for x = -1, -.7548777, 0, 1 1.4655712, but all but x=1.4655712 lie in the interval I. Could someone check this? I may have made a mistake in my algebra. I don't see why else I would get this.

I really appreciate the help!!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2
    I changed my interval I to (-.5, .5) so that part 2 would work.

And for part 3, I got this far.
    Fλ(x)=λ(x3-x) is an odd function, so the second iteration of Fλ(x0) = x0. Using algebra I got x = (1 +- sqrt(1 - 4λ))/(2λ), so this is the 2-cycle for Fλ, but only for 0<λ<1/4.

For part 4, As λ -> λ0, we have qiλ -> pλ0. So substituting, I get as λ -> 0, qiλ -> 0.

Is everything right so far?
    I'm not sure how to prove part 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?