1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-Delta Proof of Limit in R2

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Examine the limit behavior on (ℝ2, 2-norm) for f(λ,μ)=[itex]\frac{λμ}{|λ|+|μ|}[/itex] defined on ℝ2\{(0,0)} at (λ,μ)=(0,0).

I think the limit of f(λ,μ) at (0,0) is (0,0). I have tried multiple paths to (0,0) that seem to indicate this. (λ=μ, λ=μ2, et al.)

However, I am lost trying to develop a rigorous ε, δ proof for this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of Limit: Given metric spaces (X,d) and (Y,d') a mapping T:X→Y and a cluster point x0 of X, we say that T has a limit as x approaches x0 and that limit is y0 if given ε>0, there exists δ>0 such that d'(Tx,y0)<ε when 0<d(x,x0)<δ.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Step 1. Show that (λ,μ)=(0,0) is a cluster point of ℝ2\{(0,0)}.
    Let A={ℝ2\{(0,0)}). Consider sequence {an}={([itex]\frac{1}{n},\frac{1}{n}[/itex])}. Observe (0,0) is not an element of {an}. Let a=(0,0). d(an,a)=[itex]\sqrt{\left(\frac{1}{n}-0\right)^{2}+\left(\frac{1}{n}-0\right)^{2}}\Rightarrow\frac{\sqrt{2}}{n}[/itex]=0 as n→∞. Therefore (0,0) is a cluster point of A.

(Perhaps a density argument would be more consise way to argue this?)

Step 2. Apply Definition of Limit.
    Pick an ε>0. Then for d'(f(λ,μ),y0)<ε→[itex]\sqrt{\left(\frac{λμ}{|λ|+|μ|}-f(0,0)\right)^{2}}[/itex]<ε.

From this I do not know how to pull out the d((λ,μ),(0,0))<δ→[itex]\sqrt{(λ-0)^{2}+(μ-0)^{2}}[/itex]<δ to continue building this proof.

How far off track am I on this?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean you think the limit is 0. Try squaring the fraction and work on that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook