1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with a Real Analysis Proof

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that 2^n + 3^n is a multiple of 5 for all odd n that exist in the set of natural numbers.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose the contrary perhaps and do a proof by contradiction? Perhaps induction?

edit: done, thank you. please look at second proof :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    Also, another proof:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that for each a that exists in real numbers and n that exists in natural numbers there exists a rational r such that abs(a-r) < 1/n

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe it has something to do with the theorem on density of rationals.

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    i don't think the first question is a real analysis problem. try working in mod 5. whats 2^n mod 5 and 3^n mod 5 for odd n?

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4
    yeah, i redid the first one using a proof by induction. thanks for the response though.

6. Feb 4, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, saying that |a- r|= |r- a|< 1/n is the same as saying that -1/n< r- a< 1/n or that a- 1/n< r< a+ 1/n. Since there exist a rational number in any interval, there exist a rational number in the interval (a- 1/n, a+ 1/n).

7. Feb 4, 2010 #6
    is that valid as a proof though, starting from the conclusion and then reaffirming it?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook