Help with acceleration, magnitude, and direction of force

In summary, the baseball's acceleration can be calculated using the equation Vf=Vo+at, where Vf is the final velocity of 0 m/s, Vo is the initial velocity of 28.0 m/s, and t is the time of 0.0050 s. The magnitude and direction of the force acting on the baseball can then be determined using the equation F=ma, where m is the mass of the baseball and a is its acceleration. The magnitude and direction of the force acting on the player who caught the baseball can also be calculated using this same equation, as the force on the player will be equal and opposite to the force on the baseball.
jayyafeelme

Homework Statement

As a baseball is being caught, its speed goes from 28.0 m/s to 0.0 m/s in about 0.0050 s. The mass of the baseball is 0.140 kg.

What is the baseball's acceleration?
What are the magnitude and direction of the force acting on it?
What are the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the player who caught it?

Homework Equations

f=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

28.0 m/s x 0.140 kg = 3.92

Physics news on Phys.org
jayyafeelme said:

Homework Statement

As a baseball is being caught, its speed goes from 28.0 m/s to 0.0 m/s in about 0.0050 s. The mass of the baseball is 0.140 kg.

What is the baseball's acceleration?
What are the magnitude and direction of the force acting on it?
What are the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the player who caught it?

Homework Equations

f=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

28.0 m/s x 0.140 kg = 3.92

You calculated momentum. The force will be change in momentum over the time period.

If v = a*t you should be able to figure the acceleration.

so 28.0 m/s x 0.0050 s?

jayyafeelme said:
so 28.0 m/s x 0.0050 s?

Not the way I do algebra.

v divided by 0.0050 s? please help me i really need to get this done

jayyafeelme said:
v divided by 0.0050 s? please help me i really need to get this done

That gives you acceleration.

but isn't v = velocity? and v = distance/time? they don't give me a distance

someone help please

Can you do better than randomly multiplying quantities? Pion gave you v=a*t, which quantities do you know in this equation?

you're going to need an equation that can find the acceleration (or deceleration) when given an initial as well as final velocity and time.

I suggest

Vf=Vo+at

that should give you acceleration

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is the measure of how quickly an object's speed or direction is changing.

2. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

3. What is the magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force is the strength or size of a force. It is measured in units of newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

4. How does force affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

5. How is the direction of force related to acceleration?

The direction of force is related to acceleration through the concept of vector quantities. Both force and acceleration have magnitude and direction, and the direction of the force applied to an object will determine the direction of its resulting acceleration.