Help with aerodynamic shape considerations

• Thread starter engineering
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape
In summary, a flow obstruction perpendicular to a shape will cause separation/recirculation. This problem may be more complicated than initially thought since the flow velocity is high. A streamlined side opposite of the impingement is suggested to reduce drag. The objective of the device is not specified, but it is possible that the shape and profile of the device will have an impact upon the flow.
engineering
I have a flow acting perpendicular to a shape ie an airfoil however i don't think an airofoil is the best shape for the flow not to recirculate too much was wondering if anyone has any ideas? please view my attachment for basic drawing of the problem

thank you

engineering

Attachments

• air.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 272
Engineering news on Phys.org
Whenever there is a flow obstruction perpendicular you will probably see separation/recirculation. May I ask what is the application, Reynolds number etc you are looking for? Your problem statement is rather vague.

I didn't want to be the first respondent here, since I don't really know anything about it, but I agree that the question is a bit vague. Are you looking to minimize the aerodynamic effects upon a necessary structure? Or are you trying to introduce a structure to alter airflow in some particular way?

I am trying to minimize turbulence so i would like the Reynold number to be lower than the turbulent value of reynold number.

Okay, two more questions, then. Is the airflow always going to be impinging upon this structure from the same direction? What about variations in speed?
My first thought is that some variation of a 'teardrop' cross-section would be best, but I'm no expert.

yes the shape is always going to be impinging the airflow the velocity of air varies from 100 meters per second up to 300 meters per second

Wow... that's a lot faster than I expected. There might be some trans-sonic flow problems that change things at the higher end of that range. Fred or Russ are probably the best guys to handle this.

At that speed I doubt your Reynolds number will be less then turbulent! Also is this in a duct, or open channel flow. In the first case the Reynolds number should be less then about 1200 for laminar flow.

First off, those are very high velocities. High enough that you cannot consider the flow incompressible. So that makes this more complicated already.

Second, if the impingement has to be perpendicular to the flow then what exactly are you trying to change?

My only suggestion would be to streamline the side opposite of the incoming flow. This will reduce drag and likely reduce (to some degree) some of the turbulence.

What are you looking to do with this device?
What is the height (into the flow) of the bump relative to its length (parallel to the flow)?

the device is use to introduce some form of liquid into the flow i haven't any specific specifications for the design just thinking about the shape trying to bea s aerodynamically sensible as possible.

h2oski1326 said:
Second, if the impingement has to be perpendicular to the flow then what exactly are you trying to change?

My only suggestion would be to streamline the side opposite of the incoming flow. This will reduce drag and likely reduce (to some degree) some of the turbulence.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Just build a fairing.

But also, yes, we really need more info about what the intent is.

Sounds as if it's some sort of marker injector for a wind tunnel, but that doesn't make a lot of sense since that technology is old-hat.
It isn't an art project, is it? Like that guy who throws paint behind a jet engine and let's it splatter on a canvas?
Either way, I'm thinking that your aerodynamic profile has to be such that your fluid stream can be properly integrated into the airflow to achieve whatever purpose you have in mind. Whatever that purpose is, it can definitely impact upon what the most practical design will be.

1. What is aerodynamics and why is it important?

Aerodynamics is the study of how air flows around objects. It is important because it helps us understand how objects, such as airplanes, cars, and buildings, interact with the air and how to design them in a way that reduces drag and increases efficiency.

2. How does the shape of an object affect its aerodynamics?

The shape of an object is one of the most important factors in aerodynamics. A streamlined or aerodynamic shape allows air to flow smoothly around the object, reducing drag and increasing speed. A non-aerodynamic shape, on the other hand, creates turbulence and increases drag, slowing down the object.

3. What are some common aerodynamic shape considerations?

Some common aerodynamic shape considerations include minimizing surface area, reducing sharp edges and corners, creating a streamlined shape, and using airfoils or wings to generate lift. Other considerations may include the angle of the object in relation to the airflow and the material properties of the object.

4. How can aerodynamics be improved?

Aerodynamics can be improved through careful design and testing. This may involve using computer simulations, wind tunnels, or real-world testing to optimize the shape of an object for maximum efficiency. Small changes in shape can greatly impact aerodynamics, so it is important to consider all factors and make adjustments as needed.

5. Are there any downsides to prioritizing aerodynamics in design?

While aerodynamics can greatly improve the performance and efficiency of an object, it may also come with some downsides. For example, a more streamlined shape may be more complex and expensive to manufacture. Additionally, prioritizing aerodynamics may compromise other design considerations, such as structural integrity or aesthetics. It is important to find a balance between aerodynamics and other factors when designing an object.