Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Data Justification Using Excel 2007

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    Hi,

My name is Stuart and I am an undergraduate student at the University of Strathclyde, UK. I'm just about to start my 3rd year but I was lucky enough to successfully set up a summer project for during the summer where I am working in the Centre for Biophotonics.

I've been a member here for over 2 years but this is my first actual post!

I have a question about using excel to process some of my data and I thought someone here might be able to help me. I'm not sure which forum would be most suitable though - it's technically not homework or coursework.

If someone could point me in the correct general direction for my question then I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2
    Hi Stuart and welcome

I think, maybe you should just post the details and then cross fingers about what is to happen next.

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    I do not know about your programming skills, but I personally wouldn't use excel for processing the data...

Not that I have used other tools before, but, presently, I would do it using python.

In python, I can read the original data and interactively apply whatever processing I think will do...if it does not work, I apply something else, etc. This can be done easily with entire arrays and a single equation.

In excel, you are going to find yourself copying and pasting formulas in hundred of cells just to find out that they are wrong and have to do it all over again.

Then again, not everybody know how to program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook