Partial derivatives of f(p)/p where p=√(x²+y²+z²)

  • Thread starter Thread starter hellsingfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hellsingfan
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Taking the derivative of f(p)/p with respect to x,y,z separately. p = √(x^2+y^2+z^2) while f(p) is a scalar function that we don't know about

Homework Equations



f(p)/p

The Attempt at a Solution



I just wanted to know if the following is a legitimate way of doing it:

for partial derivative with respect to x: (f'(p)*pxp-f(p)*px)/p2

Similarly for derivative with respect to y: (f'(p)*pyp-f(p)*py)/p2

or is putting f'(p)*px invalid (i was thinking take the derivative of outside multiply by derivative of inside, but I'm not sure if the chain rule can be applied the way I did)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hellsingfan said:

Homework Statement



Taking the derivative of f(p)/p with respect to x,y,z separately. p = √(x^2+y^2+z^2) while f(p) is a scalar function that we don't know about

Homework Equations



f(p)/p

The Attempt at a Solution



I just wanted to know if the following is a legitimate way of doing it:

for partial derivative with respect to x: (f'(p)*pxp-f(p)*px)/p2

Similarly for derivative with respect to y: (f'(p)*pyp-f(p)*py)/p2

or is putting f'(p)*px invalid (i was thinking take the derivative of outside multiply by derivative of inside, but I'm not sure if the chain rule can be applied the way I did)

Looks fine so far.