Help with differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using convolution integral to solve a differential equation. The equation is shown and the person has attempted to use Laplace transforms to solve it. They ask for help and it is suggested to use the convolution rule. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help.
Fiorella
Solve with convolution integral:

Click http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Phio/eq.jpg" to see the equation.

So far what I've got is http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Phio/attempt.jpg" . I don't know what else to do from there, or if what I'm doing is right...

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, [itex]c_3[/itex] should be equal to [itex]k[/itex] from your DE should it not?

Second,

[tex]X(s)=\frac{F(s)}{s^2+k}+\frac{c_1s}{s^2+k}+\frac{c_2}{s^2+k}\implies x(t)=\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ \frac{F(s)}{s^2+k}+\frac{c_1s}{s^2+k}+\frac{c_2}{s^2+k} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]=\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ \frac{F(s)}{s^2+k} \right\}+\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ \frac{c_1s}{s^2+k} \right\}+\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ \frac{c_2}{s^2+k} \right\}[/tex]

You shouldn't have much trouble doing the last two inverse Laplace transforms, and the first one can be done using the convolution rule...

gabbagabbahey said:
First, [itex]c_3[/itex] should be equal to [itex]k[/itex] from your DE should it not?

Second,

[tex]X(s)=\frac{F(s)}{s^2+k}+\frac{c_1s}{s^2+k}+\frac{c_2}{s^2+k}\implies x(t)=\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ \frac{F(s)}{s^2+k}+\frac{c_1s}{s^2+k}+\frac{c_2}{s^2+k} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]=\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ \frac{F(s)}{s^2+k} \right\}+\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ \frac{c_1s}{s^2+k} \right\}+\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ \frac{c_2}{s^2+k} \right\}[/tex]

You shouldn't have much trouble doing the last two inverse Laplace transforms, and the first one can be done using the convolution rule...

Oooh I thought about that...this helps!

Thanks a lot!

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time by using the rates of change.

What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the unknown function that satisfies the given equation. This helps in understanding the behavior and properties of the system described by the equation.

What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. SDEs incorporate random variables into the equations.

What are the methods used to solve a differential equation?

The most common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and series solutions. Other techniques, such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods, can also be used.

What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and understand systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, motion of objects, and electrical circuits.