1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with electrical resistivity equation

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm just trying to understand what the variables in this equation represent. This is part of a study of electrical resistivity lab that I am doing. I don't have my Kittel book with me, and the lab manual for some reason doesn't define these variables.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \rho = \frac{m}{ne^2} \frac{1}{\tau} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I could kind of guess at some of them - m = atomic mass, e = elementary charge, [tex]\tau[/tex] = relaxation time...but what about n? And I'm not sure about m, either.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

n is the number density of the free charge carriers, electrons in the conduction band or holes in the valence band, and m is their effective mass, which is not the same as the electron mass, as it is connected to the band structure. For free electrons in silicon, the effective mass is about 0.35 times the electron mass.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook