Electric field in a resistive, shorted coaxial cable

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric and magnetic fields in a dielectric region of a shorted coaxial line with a resistive inner conductor and a perfect outer conductor. The DC voltage applied at the input end sets up a potential that varies as ln(r) on the input surface. The solution involves using Poisson's equation, which simplifies to \nabla^2 V(r,z) = 0 due to the absence of charge in the dielectric. The boundary conditions are given, and separation of variables can be used to solve the differential equation. However, an easier solution may be possible by using the method of images, starting with an infinite ohmic cylinder and wrapping the outer conductor around it. Defining the z
EEGrad

Homework Statement

Consider a shorted coaxial line with a resistive inner conductor with radius a, and a perfect outer conductor located at radius b. A DC voltage is applied at the input end. Find the electric and magnetic fields in the dielectric region (a<r<b), assuming the battery sets up a potential that varies as ln(r) on the input surface.
[/B]
wXpuytH.png

Homework Equations

Not exactly sure if there is a better way, but I started by looking at Poisson's equation
[tex] \nabla^2 V = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is no charge in the dielectric, Poisson's equation becomes

[tex] \nabla^2 V(r,z) = 0 [/tex]

where V has rotational symmetry. In cylindrical coordinates,

[tex] \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial }{\partial r} \left( r \frac{\partial V(r,z)}{\partial r} \right) + \frac{\partial^2 V(r,z)}{\partial z^2} =0 [/tex]

The boundary conditions look like:

[tex] V(r=a) = V_0 - \frac{V_0 z}{L}\\
V(r=b) = 0\\
V(z=L) = 0\\
[/tex]I'm not sure how to solve this differential equation. Can you use separation of variables to get:

[tex] V(r,z) = R(r)Z(z) \\
\frac{1}{R}\frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left( r \frac{\partial R}{\partial r} \right) = - \frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial^2 Z}{\partial z^2}\\
[/tex]

Even if I do that though, I'm not quite sure how to solve the R portion. Any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi EEGrad. I notice it’s been quite a while since you posted your question - have you found a solution, yet? If not, here are some suggestions. You’ll have to think about it and decide for yourself whether this is a nudge in the right direction or not.

Firstly, you’re correct in that a full solution of Poisson’s equation would enable you to find the E field everywhere, including the fringing fields at the input face, but in real-world problems solving Poisson’s equation is often fiendishly difficult. So I like to look for an easier solution. When I see an electrostatics problem involving lots of highly symmetrical perfect conductors I think to myself “That looks like a problem which might be amenable to solution by the method of images.”

Reading the question a little more carefully I see: “assuming the battery sets up a potential that varies as ln(r) on the input surface.” That is the potential you would find near an infinite charged cylinder: C1 - C2 * ln(r), where C1 and C2 are constants. In other words the question is telling you to assume that the potential (and therefore the radial component of E) at the input face looks like you would find for an infinite cylindrical conductor. An invitation to ignore fringing fields at the input, perhaps?

What I would do is start with an infinite ohmic cylinder and calculate the field due to that ignoring everything else. Then wrap the outer conductor around it and find the field due to the outer conductor by the method of images.

Hint: it might help if you define your z-axis so that V(z) passes through zero at the origin - that may be handy when you come to “close off” the shorted end of the cable by the method of images.

Can you see how to calculate B?

1. What is an electric field in a resistive, shorted coaxial cable?

An electric field in a resistive, shorted coaxial cable refers to the force per unit charge that is exerted on charged particles within a coaxial cable that has been shorted at one end. This electric field is responsible for the flow of electricity through the cable.

2. How is the electric field affected by the resistance of the cable?

The electric field in a resistive, shorted coaxial cable is directly proportional to the resistance of the cable. This means that as the resistance increases, the electric field will also increase, resulting in a stronger flow of electricity through the cable.

3. What is the significance of a shorted coaxial cable in relation to the electric field?

A shorted coaxial cable is important because it allows for the electric field to be concentrated within the cable, resulting in a more efficient transmission of electricity. This is because there is less energy lost due to resistance, allowing for a stronger and more stable electric field.

4. How does the length of the coaxial cable affect the strength of the electric field?

The length of the coaxial cable does not directly affect the strength of the electric field. However, a longer cable may result in more resistance, which can weaken the electric field. It is important to keep the cable length as short as possible for optimal performance.

5. Can the electric field in a resistive, shorted coaxial cable be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field in a resistive, shorted coaxial cable can be manipulated by changing the resistance or the length of the cable. By decreasing the resistance or shortening the cable, the electric field can be strengthened, resulting in a more efficient transmission of electricity.