Velocity of cyclist undergoing air resistance

In summary: So the answer to your question is no, you don't need to consider the Reynold's number. In summary, the limit velocity for a cyclist undergoing air resistance is approximately 15.818174 m/s.
Salviati

Homework Statement

I'm attempting to solve the differential equation,

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{P}{mv}-\frac{1}{2m}C\rho Av^{2}[/itex]​
where [itex]P, \rho, m, A, C[/itex] are constants.

The differential equation is used to approximate the velocity of a cyclist undergoing air resistance.

It's actually presented as a numerical problem but I'm wondering if it's possible to solve it analytically.

Homework Equations

[itex]P, \rho, m, A, C[/itex] are constants

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to classify the ODE. It's not separable, linear nor exact. Not sure how I could use change of variables either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A first step: Simplify the equation to ##\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{c}{v}-bv^2## with new constants c=P/m and b=CρA/2.

The limit velocity is given by ##V=\sqrt[3]{\frac{c}{b}}## and we can construct a typical time ##T=\sqrt[3]{\frac{1}{cb^2}}##, write ##v=w V## and ##t=T \tau## to get $$\frac{dw}{d\tau}=\frac{1}{w}-w^2$$

WolframAlpha does not find a solution, so it looks like a hard problem.

mfb said:
A first step: Simplify the equation to ##\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{c}{v}-bv^2## with new constants c=P/m and b=CρA/2.

The limit velocity is given by ##V=\sqrt[3]{\frac{c}{b}}## and we can construct a typical time ##T=\sqrt[3]{\frac{1}{cb^2}}##, write ##v=w V## and ##t=T \tau## to get $$\frac{dw}{d\tau}=\frac{1}{w}-w^2$$

WolframAlpha does not find a solution, so it looks like a hard problem.

Just wondering how you determined the limit velocity to be ##V=\sqrt[3]{\frac{c}{b}}##.

Setting dv/dt=0 gives 0=c/V - bV^2, with the posted solution.

Ah OK.

Thanks, mfb.

So I've gone through the problem numerically and the results that I'm getting are identical, regardless of whether or not I include the viscous term ## -\frac{\eta Av}{mh} ## in the differential equation.

So, without the viscous term,

While with the viscous term,
[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{P}{mv}-\frac{1}{2m}C\rho Av^{2} -\frac{\eta}{mh}Av [/itex]​

I've gone through a couple of scenarios:

1) Cyclist in air with the following constants:
## P = 400 W, m = 70kg, C = 0.5, \rho = 1.225 kg/m^{2}, A = 0.33 m^{2}, \eta = 2*10^{-5} Pas, h = 1.5 m, v_{0} = 4 m/s^{2} ##

Here, my calculated limiting velocity is ## 15.818174 m/s^{2} ## for both viscous and non-viscous considerations.

oEnOGaB.gif
2) Cyclist in water with the following constants:
## P = 400 W, m = 70kg, C = 0.5, \rho = 1000 kg/m^{2}, A = 0.33 m^{2}, \eta = 1*10^{-3} Pas, h = 1.5 m, v_{0} = 4 m/s^{2} ##.

In this case, the limiting velocity due without viscous drag is ## 1.692526 m/s^{2} ##, while with viscous drag, it is: ## 1.692525 m/s^{2} ##.

grnptqC.gif

I've worked out the limiting velocities as you pointed out by hand, mfb, and everything seems to check out...

Would it be correct to consider the Reynold's number in these scenarios? Since the Reynold's number in both of these scenarios is quite large, the viscous drag is negligeable.

Last edited:
Would it be correct to consider the Reynold's number in these scenarios? Since the Reynold's number in both of these scenarios is quite large, the viscous drag is negligeable.
Right.

1. What is air resistance in relation to cycling velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of a cyclist as they move through the air. It is caused by the friction between the air molecules and the cyclist's body and equipment.

2. How does air resistance affect a cyclist's velocity?

Air resistance has a significant impact on a cyclist's velocity. As the cyclist's speed increases, so does the force of air resistance. This means that the cyclist will have to exert more energy to maintain the same velocity.

3. How do factors such as wind and elevation affect air resistance for a cyclist?

Wind can increase or decrease air resistance for a cyclist, depending on its direction. A tailwind can decrease air resistance and help a cyclist maintain a higher velocity, while a headwind can increase air resistance and make it harder to maintain speed. Elevation also plays a role, as air density decreases at higher altitudes, reducing the force of air resistance.

4. Is there a way to reduce the impact of air resistance on a cyclist's velocity?

Yes, there are a few ways to decrease the impact of air resistance on a cyclist's velocity. One way is to reduce the cyclist's frontal area by using a more aerodynamic body position or equipment. Another way is to decrease the cyclist's speed, as air resistance increases with velocity.

5. How does a cyclist's body position affect air resistance and velocity?

A cyclist's body position can have a significant impact on both air resistance and velocity. A more aerodynamic body position, such as crouching low on the bike, can decrease air resistance and increase velocity. A less aerodynamic position, such as sitting upright, will have the opposite effect and increase air resistance while decreasing velocity.